• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Basic question from a somewhat new Bird Mom

NoahsMom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela
I figure the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked, so here goes.....

Is it possible for me to give my Fids my respiratory flu? My little Quaker baby wants so much to comfort her miserable Mommy but I'm afraid to let her come love on me right now :(

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I figure the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked, so here goes.....

Is it possible for me to give my Fids my respiratory flu? My little Quaker baby wants so much to comfort her miserable Mommy but I'm afraid to let her come love on me right now :(
Don't worry. There are very few illnesses that can pass between parrots and their parronts.

NoahsMom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela
Don't worry. There are very few illnesses that can pass between parrots and their parronts.
PARRONTS.....I love it!!!! I am so glad, all three of my babies came from an abusive and neglecting home, so I want so much to give them the love and affection they ask for, but I want more to keep them safe and healthy! Thank you so much! :hug8: Germ free hugs!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope you feel better, snuggle those babies.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Not a stupid question. Always good to ask the Avenue when you're unsure. So much combined experience here.

Feel better soon and thanks for giving those poor abused babies a loving home.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
They will be fine :) Feel better soon.

NoahsMom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela
I'm starting to feel like I might live, but little Mary Frances the Quaker has developed quite a cough. Fortunately, I can tell that she is just mimicking me, as I have heard her do it before. Silly baby!! Does anyone know if I can spray Lysol in the same room with the Fids? I'd really like to sterilize the place so we don't just keep passing it around....between 4 humans and all of the animals I worry.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm starting to feel like I might live, but little Mary Frances the Quaker has developed quite a cough. Fortunately, I can tell that she is just mimicking me, as I have heard her do it before. Silly baby!! Does anyone know if I can spray Lysol in the same room with the Fids? I'd really like to sterilize the place so we don't just keep passing it around....between 4 humans and all of the animals I worry.
Sorry, but the Lysol is a no-no, as is any similar airborne disinfectant and a lot of the harsher chemical liquid cleaners. Birds are extremely sensitive to fumes. Some folks here won't use anything harsher than vinegar to clean their bird areas. I use soap and water, rinsed well. Avi-clean for touch ups :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had the flu and posted too. People flu and parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I took my parrots into the back bedroom, closed the door, put a towel on the bottom of the door - then went back and sprayed a "little" of the lysol in the kitchen and living room. I took lysol wipes to the door handles and things I would have touched. Since I was also blessed with good weather that day - I opened the doors and windows of the house to air it out (a nurse at the doctor's office told me that airing out the house was the best thing I could do). I moved the parrots back into the living room/kitchen area that evening . . . . but again, I had aired out the house too.

I was by myself that week and did all the cleaning the day the family was coming back home . . .. nobody else caught it (what a HUGE blessing)!