• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Basic Hospital tank for sick birds

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
A 10 or 20 gal fish tank with a screen top will hold most birds....
This will keep them from "climbing" up the sides of cages with injuries to their feet or legs or wings...
A heating pad (no one that turns off after awhile)
At least 4 towels...one to wrap the heating pad in, one to lay on top along with paper towels for the poops and the 3rd one can be a hand towel ROLLED for a perch so the bird will rest on it. and the 4th one is to cover the top to keep/release the heat inside.
Food and water dishes that they won't turn over if they stand on the edge of the dish.
A thermometer to make sure the heat is where it should be 85-95º depending on the size/age of the birds (birds temps run around 109º)
You also might need to WEIGH down the top to keep a larger bird from climbing out!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for taking the time to post this good information BF:hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Yes, thank you for taking the time to post this thread BF! I appreciate it!

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Personally, that's why I prefer my wingabago ...

Interchangeable w/ the acrylic door and rope perch ... it fits right on my night table. Stick a heating pad right underneath it. I have one for everyone of my personal birds and 2 extras for possible rescue birds. It's like having an incubator.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I like the looks of it also but can't afford the price tag.....:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you Betty. Dana that is a great idea also!

Trevor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
Our Golden Conure recently had stitches. We used the 20 gallon tank and did all of those things except we used a spectrum heat lamp aimed in half the cage (away from food and water). It worked well.:)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its not cheap, but this is what I ended up investing in a few years ago (I bought the digital version):

Petiatric.com: Supplier of portable brooders, brooder supply and the best qualit - Nursery Hospital Brooders

There are ones better than this one, but it is very effective for home use. I have used mine on two occasions, its more than paid for itself with the ease of use and not having to constantly fuss with temperature settings like I used to :)

Ive also used the aquarium setups and they do work well. :) Either way you definitely need to monitor temps to be sure its staying within the range you want.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Its not cheap, but this is what I ended up investing in a few years ago:

Petiatric.com: Supplier of portable brooders, brooder supply and the best qualit - Nursery Hospital Brooders

There are ones better than this one, but it is very effective for home use. I have used mine on two occasions, its more than paid for itself with the ease of use and not having to constantly fuss with temperature settings like I used to :)

Ive also used the aquarium setups and they do work well. :) Either way you definitely need to monitor temps to be sure its staying within the range you want.
I love it Jill!
Do you think the B model
“B” model 17”x17”x24”

will work for an african grey (~335 grams)?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes :) That is the size I have, and have put similar sized (Amazons) in it. Its not super roomy but they had plenty of turn around space, plenty big for the reason they were in there. Ialso really like having it open from the front, and that the three sides and top are not see-through. It works well for keeping things quiet and getting the bird in/out through the front was much easier for me.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yes :) That is the size I have, and have put similar sized (Amazons) in it. Its not super roomy but they had plenty of turn around space, plenty big for the reason they were in there. Ialso really like having it open from the front, and that the three sides and top are not see-through. It works well for keeping things quiet and getting the bird in/out through the front was much easier for me.
thanks!!:D
Air flow...is the front door screened or solid?

Reactions: Taj

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is solid. Plenty of airflow though. I will try to dig mine out this week and take more pics of it if you want to see :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Not seen anything like this in Britain for sale. If needed would it be shipped to us I wonder?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Thanks Jill for the information!:hug8: