• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Barley

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Do birds like it? How do I know what kind of barley I have? It's just in a plain ziploc and after reading online I see there is 'pearled barley', quick barley'..'hulled barley':confused:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have used pearl barley in my birdie bread and they love it I do not know much about it though

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Do birds like it? How do I know what kind of barley I have? It's just in a plain ziploc and after reading online I see there is 'pearled barley', quick barley'..'hulled barley':confused:

I have made the pearl barley before. It seemed like it took forever to cook! They didn't care for it, but if I kept trying I am sure they would get used to it.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I use pearled Barley also, it is the base for my birdy mash that I make.
The fids love it, and I mix it with split peas, rice, frozen veggies, and different spices.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I like barley myself, but I've never tried it on the fids. I know what's going into their next mix! :lol:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks everyone. I am going to say from what I see I think it's pearled barley. I guess I will know by how long it takes to cook.:)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Carole, I bring water to a boil, add the barley and cook for about 17 mins. and then drain...any water that is drained off goes into the birdy bread...I also add this cooked barley to my birdy bread OR add to my brown rice FRESH food mixture for the day...:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.