• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Barking Finch

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Anyone out there hear their Society Finches making a barking like sound? It's usually when they get really frightened. Primarily Charlie does it. Seems to be a kind of high pitched alarm type call. A quick, sharp, "bark" is the best way I can describe it. Usually once to twice per second. I have not gotten a video of it I don't think. Except maybe in the panic video I recorded when Charlie was briefly attacking Emma. There is nothing wrong with them, Charlie just started doing it for no reason just now, and it just got me thinking about it, and what that call might also be used for.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
He kinda does it right here around 1 minute 10 seconds. Not the best audio quality though.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow! It sounds like a panic/warning, doesn't it? Was something scary?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
This was after Charlie attacked Emma. See this thread to remind yourself of the context: TOTAL PANIC!!! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I used that same video as an example. So technically yes, there was something scary, but Charlie (who is making the sound), WAS the scary thing.

I don't know why he would be making that sound immediately after attacking Emma. Perhaps that is just a typical uncontrollable sound they make after experiencing something traumatic or after elevated adrenaline levels?

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
OK I am back up to speed! I hate to put everything down to hormones but... hormones? Do they have eggs now or not?

I'm somewhat stumped. I do see sudden behavior like this sometimes, and I usually think it's excess energy so they go a little berserk to let it out. They need a treadmill!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yup I think that was the conclusion of that last thread. That video was towards the end of their incubation period. Charlie was getting needy and ready to mate again but Emma was still sitting on eggs. Ultimately we thought Charlie attacking Emma that day was a result of sexual frustration. I guess the more specific question is the meaning of the barking sound post attack. I am trying to figure out what it means because he doesn't just do it in that video, on occasion he has been known to do it at random times without any obvious stimulation (unlike the attack video). Perhaps he's doing it at random times out of sexual frustration too lol. I'll keep watching him to see if I can see a pattern. They just started their second clutch of eggs a few days ago so perhaps I will not hear it for a little while until they are done mating.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Maybe you can figure it out. :)

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Possible explanation that actually makes a lot of sense:

"Barking - Even in a household without dogs, some birds will "bark" in excitement, during a "chatter" session, or in an attempt to display their dominance over their cagemates or other birds in the household."