• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bare-eyed 'toos vs Goffins

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
There is an 18yr old female bare-eyed cockatoo in our area. The owners are looking to rehome her due to the wife's illness. We aren't determined to adopt another bird, but hubby has been joking about a galah and we do have Buzz's old cage.... *sigh*

Before I think too hard on this, can anyone with experience with bare-eyed 'toos tell me how they compare to goffins, size, etc. I'll read the good bad & ugly later after our imminent guests go home. Right now I have housework to do!

Pretty please and thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have never met one but have always gotten the impression that they are more mellow than goffins and somewhat bigger. Goffins are the smallest species. Of course, I think you should get her! :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Her name is Millie & is only presumed female.
00M0M_i1qveH4MWDVz_0aC08o_600x450.jpg

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Millie is beautiful

Admittedly, I am bias towards our Aussie cockatoos.
Little Corellas are very sweet goofy birds.
they do make a bit of noise especially at sunrise and sunset that is a bit rougher on the ears than that of a Galah.
It doesn’t personally bother me, however I have known dogs to absolutely -hate- it.

They are so delightfully soft and fluffy like a little cloud when they poof up for a shower or scratch.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Tell him corellas are heaps smarter and much more fun than galahs are
Are they really? I think he's thinking of galahs because they're not much bigger than goffins. It looks like bare-eyes are easily almost double the girls' weights.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@iamwhoiam Do you happen to have any pics of Keno and Cody near one another? :)

And do you know how much they each weigh for reference? Our goffins girls a are on the small side for the species; both under 250g.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam Do you happen to have any pics of Keno and Cody near one another? :)

And do you know how much they each weigh for reference? Our goffins girls a are on the small side for the species; both under 250g.
I don't know Cody's (Bare-eyed) weight but Keno (Goffin's) weighs about 300 grams (slightly more if I remember correctly). I am sure, though, that Cody weighs
a lot more than 300 grams. She is larger in size than Keno lengthwise and widthwise. The scale freaks her out.
Keno is more outgoing, seems to be more intelligent (sorry Cody) and much more mechanically inclined than Cody. Cody is on the shy side, more easily frightened
of new things and unfamiliar people than Keno and she sometimes has a history of stress seizures. Cody is a gentler bird, though, and doesn't bother the other birds whereas Keno is
not nice towards the other birds. Keno doesn't usually bite me but I don't trust her 100% whereas Cody is super sweet. Have no photos of the two of them near one another.
They both talk but Keno has a larger vocabulary and, of course, both of them scream. Cody will always scream in the AM if I don't uncover her cage early enough (at least early
enough in her mind) and she will also scream in the evening if I don't cover her cage and turn the lights off when she feels it's time to go to bed. She'll scream at other times, too,
but the AM and PM screaming sessions are consistent and predictable. Can't ever predict when Keno will start screaming. Sometimes she'll talk in a voice that sounds as if she is possessed.
If you've ever watched movies about possessions you will understand what I mean by that. :D I don't know if other Goffin's talk like that, too, but it's creepy. Do yours?

Of course, Cody's and Keno's behaviors can not necessarily be generalized to other BEs and Goffin's.

Good luck with your decision regarding whether or not you will take Milly. I don't regret getting Cody. Have had her since she was about 11 weeks old.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you for all of this. :pinksmile:Neither of our girls talk, but they do copy ar least one of each other's calls. :bored: It can be very confusing unless the one you think you hear calling from the other room is already on your shoulder.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for all of this. :pinksmile:Neither of our girls talk, but they do copy ar least one of each other's calls. :bored: It can be very confusing unless the one you think you hear calling from the other room is already on your shoulder.
You are welcome. Cody and Keno don't copy each other. I can usually tell which one is screaming/calling although it's harder when they start calling back and forth. Cody's scream is usually at a slightly higher pitch than Keno's.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
We have 2 bare-eyed Toos at my rescue and 2 goffins (several more goffins in the past). They seem to be about the same size. Bare-eyeds fly more and seem to be nippier. One is an ocassional ear-biter, the other has definitely thought about it.:roflmao: They are more independent; seem to have a good sense they are birds which decreases the chances of feather-picking. The noise level is pretty similar, it depends on the individual bird. They tend to be pretty brave and confident.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have 2 bare-eyed Toos at my rescue and 2 goffins (several more goffins in the past). They seem to be about the same size. Bare-eyeds fly more and seem to be nippier. One is an ocassional ear-biter, the other has definitely thought about it.:roflmao: They are more independent; seem to have a good sense they are birds which decreases the chances of feather-picking. The noise level is pretty similar, it depends on the individual bird. They tend to be pretty brave and confident.
That's the opposite of Keno and Cody. Keno is the more confident and independent one and the one more likely to bite. Neither of mine are feather pickers (knock on wood).
@faislaq Have you made a decision regarding Millie?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
That's the opposite of Keno and Cody. Keno is the more confident and independent one and the one more likely to bite. Neither of mine are feather pickers (knock on wood).
@faislaq Have you made a decision regarding Millie?
That's funny. Have you guys seen Eric The Legend? I can see his sass in the two bare-eyeds we have.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We haven't. I'm not sure if she's exactly what we need for the girls or might be too much right now. There are a lot of pros & cons.
tenor (1).gif

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Can you take her for a trial period?
o_O Who's going to return a bird? That would be so hard unless the situation was really terrible. She'd be as good as adopted if we did a "trial"!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's funny. Have you guys seen Eric The Legend? I can see his sass in the two bare-eyeds we have.
Did a search and watched a few youtube videos. Eric is certainly a legend :laugh:. No recent videos on youtube as far as I could tell.
Hope he is OK.