• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bar spacing/new cage and lighting confusion!

stephM

Moving in
Thank you all SO much!! I am so glad you all agreed - she has made such great strides in just this one day!! I’m so proud of her - she came over to my hand and has started beaking it and testing it out!! still a little leery about stepping onto to it , but I can tell it’s just a matter of time!! The breeder did trim her wings so she can only fly down, unfortunately

I have not posted on there yet but I will soon as I have a ton more questions! :loltears:

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welp @owlsthetic, it only took a week, and now I can’t leave the room without her getting mad! Lol :loltears: :heart: I guess slow and steady worked! And man is she playful!! Cracks me up haha Thank you So much again for the support!!
My goodness! She's so precious :heart:

You both look great together :D

I'm glad everything seems to be going so well!

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Welcome. Your birds are adorable. My daughter also has a new conure and he has bonded with her very quickly. I suspect your baby will quickly respond to kind opportunities to interact on his terms. Ours is a crimson bellied and we discovered one inch was dangerous for him so he just got a new cage. Keep us posted on your progress. BTW love your old guy. I have a soft spot for the old birds. I had an African grey for almost 40 years.

stephM

Moving in
Thank you so much @Shannan ! My Mom and Dad have also had their gray for about 18 years! I always tell people my old bird man is like my husband

That’s so cute about your daughter and her new conure! I ended up getting a new cage too, didn’t feel safe after reading about it, and it wasn’t worth the risk. Honestly decorating such a huge macaw size cage with toys was always a little overwhelming! I think it might be a bit easier for me to rotate toys in a more manageable size cage! I’d love to see the crimson belly if you have pics!

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Thank you so much @Shannan ! My Mom and Dad have also had their gray for about 18 years! I always tell people my old bird man is like my husband

That’s so cute about your daughter and her new conure! I ended up getting a new cage too, didn’t feel safe after reading about it, and it wasn’t worth the risk. Honestly decorating such a huge macaw size cage with toys was always a little overwhelming! I think it might be a bit easier for me to rotate toys in a more manageable size cage! I’d love to see the crimson belly if you have pics!
My avatar is Walter at age 39 (about a week before he passed away). We called him a grumpy old man but he really wasn't that grumpy. Here is the new guy. He belongs to my daughter officially but I do get to spoil him.
tempImagehFhSQz.jpg

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I’m glad to hear he’s warming up to you :starshower:

stephM

Moving in
@Shannan aww Walter was quite the handsome gentleman !! :heart: I Know what you mean - I call Bingey my grumpy old bird man too ( even though we know they’re really not ;))

OMG the new baby is adorable!!! How old is he?? He looks really good at climbing already! My baby is still not getting the hang of climbing around the cage bars like that

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
@Shannan aww Walter was quite the handsome gentleman !! :heart: I Know what you mean - I call Bingey my grumpy old bird man too ( even though we know they’re really not ;))

OMG the new baby is adorable!!! How old is he?? He looks really good at climbing already! My baby is still not getting the hang of climbing around the cage bars like that
Baby Dragon is about 4 months old. He is remarkably agile but then again I am comparing him to Walter. How old is your little guy? I bet he will get the hang of it soon. Dragon is very clumsy but he recovers nicely from it and it doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest. Does your new little one love to bath? Dragon does and it is hilarious to watch.

stephM

Moving in
Nipper is about 17 weeks so that’s pretty close in age! I’m hoping once I get her new cage set up this weekend she’ll get more practice as right now she’s only sleeping in the quarantine cage and then wants out all day LOL she is playing under very close supervision on a few perches in the huge cage but obviously can’t climb those bars!

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Nipper is about 17 weeks so that’s pretty close in age! I’m hoping once I get her new cage set up this weekend she’ll get more practice as right now she’s only sleeping in the quarantine cage and then wants out all day LOL she is playing under very close supervision on a few perches in the huge cage but obviously can’t climb those bars!
You shall have to share pictures when you get her new digs all set up. And definitely share stories.