• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Banding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorg S.

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jorg S
Where can I order bands for lovebirds that I can have customized.
I have started breeding lovebirds and want to band them when some babies hatch.
Any help is appreciated.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
i get mine from L & M Leg band - they are nicely priced. and VERY quick delivery i think the last ones i ordered on a Friday evening around 6(my time EST they're on a different time than me their 9 am is my noon) my bands were in my mail box Tuesday or Wednesday

if i remember right the total price for one set of bands is $13.00 - including shipping of the ones i get

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just remember to place your order so that delivery is made in time to fit the birds leg.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
wOw, George. That's great. I'm trying to remember...did you buy a bonded pair at the bird fair?

I've always wondered about the banding thing. What purpose does it serve? I mean, is there a national registry? Ollie, my ekkie is the only one that has a band. There are days I wish I could take it off too. It doesn't look very comfortable!

Jorg S.

Real Name
Jorg S
wOw, George. That's great. I'm trying to remember...did you buy a bonded pair at the bird fair?

I've always wondered about the banding thing. What purpose does it serve? I mean, is there a national registry? Ollie, my ekkie is the only one that has a band. There are days I wish I could take it off too. It doesn't look very comfortable!
Monica,
The bands a great to keep records and usually tell you where the bird came from and what year it hatched.

As far as taking the bands off, I have them removed on all my pet birds but my avian vet keeps the record in his files incase we need that info.
The bands can be dangerous on very active birds so my vet says and I too feel they don't look very comfortable.

Yes I did buy a bonded pair at the fair and 8 more pairs from another place, I set up 4 pairs with nest boxes and the only pair that has not done anything is the one from the fair.
I also got a proven pair of Perrolets yesterday that are bonded and proven
they are green split to blue and should produce some beautiful babies comes spring time.

I converted one of my rooms into an aviary for the breeder birds.
I'm very excited about this and just love those little lovebirds they have such great personalities and are lots of fun to watch.

Jorg S.

Real Name
Jorg S
i get mine from L & M Leg band - they are nicely priced. and VERY quick delivery i think the last ones i ordered on a Friday evening around 6(my time EST they're on a different time than me their 9 am is my noon) my bands were in my mail box Tuesday or Wednesday

if i remember right the total price for one set of bands is $13.00 - including shipping of the ones i get
Great I will order them today.
What information do you have on your bands?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I pulled baby lovies between 10 days and 2 weeks. They should be banded right away at this point. L&M does give you instructions on how to band.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The bands can be dangerous on very active birds so my vet says and I too feel they don't look very comfortable.
------------------------------

This is very true, but it is our responcibility to keep their cages and environments safe.

Below is an illustration of what can happen if you have sliding doors on a cage. If this is not noticed when the band gets caught the bird will chew off it's foot/leg to get free.

Attachments

Jorg S.

Real Name
Jorg S
------------------------------

This is very true, but it is our responcibility to keep their cages and environments safe.

Below is an illustration of what can happen if you have sliding doors on a cage. If this is not noticed when the band gets caught the bird will chew off it's foot/leg to get free.
Wow that is ah :omg:
I ordered me the bands a little bit ago too.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I have always used L & M Leg Bands as well, always great service and pretty promt at their orders.

Jorg S.

Real Name
Jorg S
I have always used L & M Leg Bands as well, always great service and pretty promt at their orders.
Yes the lady at L&M was very nice and helpful.
I will definitely keep ordering from them.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, they've been doing leg bands at least before 1987 that I know of and not sure how long before that. Here's a kicker, I ordered like $120. worth of bands this past May of 2009 and now I am gettig out of breeding, I used about 15 of those bands but I also had some from previous times I have ordered leg bands and now they won't get used! I never had the hatch year printed on my bands so I could use them for the nexr year to follow. Anyone want to buy used leg bands?? Just kidding!

Also if you are a breeder of what ever parrots, you can submit your leg band code(s) to Leg Band Registry if you want.

Last edited:

Jorg S.

Real Name
Jorg S
Yes, they've been doing leg bands at least before 1987 that I know of and not sure how long before that. Here's a kicker, I ordered like $120. worth of bands this past May of 2009 and now I am gettig out of breeding, I used about 15 of those bands but I also had some from previous times I have ordered leg bands and now they won't get used! I never had the hatch year printed on my bands so I could use them for the nexr year to follow. Anyone want to buy used leg bands?? Just kidding!

Also if you are a breeder of what ever parrots, you can submit your leg band code(s) to Leg Band Registry if you want.
Jan,
Again Thank you!
I was wondering if there was a registry for the leg bands.
It's a shame that someone as knowledgeable and caring as you has to get out of the breeding business.

Status
Not open for further replies.