• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

band or remove it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoso

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bob
SAM_0489.jpg SAM_0488.jpg Zazu's band seems to be really tight the way she wears it and I was wondering what people thought about removing it. When I first got her the vet I went to talked me out of chipping her because she would have to be put under. The new vet I have been speaking to said it would be no problem at all and she wouldn't have to be put under.What does everyone think aboutchipping birds and if this band is too tight and might cause a problem. -Bob

Greytfeather

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keri
I'm not sure about the tightness... I had my bird's band taken off because he was constantly biting it and fidgeting with it. He clearly *hated* the darn thing. His was more loose than that shown in the pics.

I'd microchip without a second thought... in fact, I'm looking for someone to do so.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
We removed all three of our bird's bands.

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
I don't really have any advice on microchipping ... all three of mine still have their bands on. They don't seem to bother with them, so I'm not going to fuss with them. But the one on Zazu does look kind of tight.

I'll be curious to see what others have to say.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
if it is causing the bird any pain or distress then I would get it removed personally. Otherwise I see no problem with having it there. But as I said, if it is going to be too tight then I would take it off before it becomes painful or uncomfortable around his leg

sierra

Walking the driveway
All but my macaw have had them removed. My cockatoo got hers caught on something, so I had it removed. The other two were constantly biting at them, so the vet recommended taking them off. I saved them all, just in case I would need them at some time. I don't know about chipping.

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
Kai doesn't bother his so he still has a band. Does Zazu pick at her band?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
For safety reasons, any bands were taken off. I won't microchip my birds.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
It does look a little snug compared to the one Prudence wears. If your worried, take her in and the vet should be able to determine if its too tight.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Simba has one thats the perfect looseness and Nala doesnt have one at all. If Simba's ever started to bother him,I woudl have it removed for his safety. Zazu's does look a little tight to me.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Kalea has a band and she uses that to help shave down her beak. I know, that sounds strange but Hy's tend to use something strong to help sort of shave down the inside of their mandible/beak. When I hear her playing with that band or see her on the ring stand using the cup holder or the SS toy in her cage I go and get the SS measuring spoons and give that to her to use instead. She can hold it and manipulate it easier.

I would take her to the vet that doesn't need to put her under. To me, if a vet does not have the skills to do even that on a bird without using an anesthetic, I would not trust that vet to have enough knowledge to care for My Girls in the first place.

If the vet agrees the band is on the snug side, which is what it looks like in the pic, I would have it removed. I do have My Girls chipped.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Like Leslie, I removed all bands for safety and I will not microchip....too many things about it make me very uncomfortable.

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
only 2 of my birds had leg bands and on their first visit to the vet I had the leg band removed so none of mine have any bands microchipping is a little scarey I thought about it but I decided not to , I'am sure our new baby IRN will have one on from the breeder but I will have it removed

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
That looks a little snug, but only barely. All of my fids are banded who came with them; I will probably remove Paris' band because it is WAY too huge.

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Coco has never been bothered by hers or had a moment's problem with it. However, it does not look to be nearly as snug as Zazu's. I would have the vet take a look at it, and if any question, photograph the information on the tag, have the vet write it in her chart, and remove it. From all that I have heard from avian vets that I use and am friends with, and from all that I've read, micro chipping is an excellent option. In the worst case scenario of a bird being stolen, the band could always be removed by the thief. So for means of identification, micro chipping is superior.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I had an IRN whose band was bugging him so much his leg was bleeding and bare that he was picking at it. We took it off. Personally i don't like bands. Aly has one but so far she just leaves it alone. She's 5 years old and she doesn't bother.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I had the vet take Mikey's band off after I noticed that it bothered him...

Zoso

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bob
The band does not seem to bother her at all but I noticed it is tight and the feathers on her leg are being damaged. When she wears it down on her foot it is loose but usually its up on her leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.