• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bamboo stalks

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I think this would be a good place to stick this since this would technically be toy and cage related.

I have a TON of this bamboo growing just outside my house and I read that it's safe for birds. I don't have any pictures of the stuff at the moment but I can get one shortly. It's really, really tall but thin, maybe no more than an inch thick max. It's sturdy stuff too as I was trying to make something for my tomato plants and was struggling to cut though it with tin snips. how would I go about cleaning it and drying it out to use for in my birds cages and to make toys out of it?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Bamboo is safe as far as I understand... I researched this a long while ago & cannot locate a website @ the moment. If it's what Lucky Bamboo is sold to American's as it is not safe, I think it was because it's either a member of or close relative of the Lily family. This is straight from Wikipedia as to all the different names of "Lucky Bamboo" are & ehat it's scientific name is.

@JLcribber
Do you know or have a reference point on bamboo as a double check on me? Sry as I know your crazy busy! Screenshot_2020-06-01-16-05-33.png

mak

I'm no wear near being an expert but It doesn't look to me like bamboo. Maybe a diff type of reed? try to get someone to positively identify it for you.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
It looks like it has little tufts at the top. They look similar to a wheat spray but more compact and thinner and seem a little fuzzier. I can't get a good picture of them since they are further down the fence line and really high up. I didn't notice them in my section of the fence because there's a tree that kind of cuts them off a bit.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I believe the the reed is called Arundo donax or giant reed. Anyone know if it's a bird safe reed?

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I finally found the info I was looking for since this reed wasn't on any lists of safe or unsafe lists regarding what birds can or can't chew on plant wise. It seems this reed is deemed as unsafe according to the info I found. Thanks anyway. I was hoping I was able to use it since I have a ton of it around. There's other trees around so maybe I'll ID those and see if they are safe for birds and see what I can do.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bamboo is parrot safe?

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Apparently so. It's on every parrot safe list I've found. At least real bamboo is.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I don't think that is bamboo. It looks more like one of the Arundo grass species (cane grass). Arundo Donax classed as an invasive species in several states. I can't find any information as to whether it's bird safe. Bamboo loses it's leaves at the bottom as it grows. The cane grasses keep leaves on most of the stalk.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
It's arundo donax. From what I read on the wiki about it, it seems to produce chemicals and toxins so I believe it's not bird safe. However, it's not listed on any lists I've seen if it's safe or not. Since I can't find any official safety stamp for it, I'm not going to try anything with it.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I bought this as a little plant 6 years ago.

57B3A8DB-8FFD-4E4D-862C-DA90F6ED2D10.jpeg 40959583-C946-40A1-A2CA-1ED9BAFB48D5.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
There's other trees around so maybe I'll ID those and see if they are safe for birds and see what I can do.
Most maples are safe, and if you're in the U.S. northeast, it should be really easy to find one.

The only type to look out for is Red Maple (Acer rubrum)

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I'm in Texas. I think I have Firs in the area I'm at. They are giant pine looking trees that drop pretty good sized pine cones. The needles, however, are definitely not what find on a typical pine. They are really long needles, a good few inches. The trees are pretty tall though so eve if they were safe, I don't think I could yoink any branches easily. Not sure what other trees there are. There's quite a few and all bunched together it's hard to tell what tree starts and ends.

Maybe not firs though. Some type of pine? They are really tall with really long needles.

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm in Texas. I think I have Firs in the area I'm at. They are giant pine looking trees that drop pretty good sized pine cones. The needles, however, are definitely not what find on a typical pine. They are really long needles, a good few inches. The trees are pretty tall though so eve if they were safe, I don't think I could yoink any branches easily. Not sure what other trees there are. There's quite a few and all bunched together it's hard to tell what tree starts and ends.

Maybe not firs though. Some type of pine? They are really tall with really long needles.
I have a few of those trees in my backyard, and they're all super tall. (They also cover you in sap if you hold a ripped off needle or cut branch in your hand too long)

Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I got a picture of one of the other trees I'm trying to identify. Specifically the leaves. Can anyone ID it? I couldn't get too great of a picture but I did the best I could to get the leaves. There seems to be two different leave shapes on the same tree though. Though I think one is a more mature leaf than the others.
IMG_20200606_104436016_HDR.jpg IMG_20200606_104551783_HDR.jpg

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I got a picture of one of the other trees I'm trying to identify. Specifically the leaves. Can anyone ID it? I couldn't get too great of a picture but I did the best I could to get the leaves. There seems to be two different leave shapes on the same tree though. Though I think one is a more mature leaf than the others.
View attachment 341241 View attachment 341242
Looks like some kind of maple to me, but I'm not a tree expert.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I found a website that lets you upload images of plants and it will ID them. Says it's a mullberry tree. Checked both images and both IDed as mullberry. Might see if other sites do the same thing.