• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Balsam apple?

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
I live near to a valley in a hometown area.

Yesterday my dad brought us to a semi-desert place that has many different species of birds from large birds of pray like black kite to small shining sunbird .
The place has many trees that i saw for the first time include balsam apple tree. My dad told me in their childhood they used to eat this fruit and wild bird don't lose any chance to eat them too, so i tried and it actually tasted very good, like a watermelon.

Birds usually eat the red part that cover the seed. it's very delicious honestly. I offered some to Tweety and he loved them A LOT but i was afraid to give him more.

So... does anyone know if it benefits birds?

*wild birds in my hometown eat this fruit mostly*

Attachments

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Where are you from? A botanist (maybe at a university/college or local environmental organization) should be able to identify it with it's botanical name and then you can research the fruit to see if it's okay for your parrot. Also, an app for your phone called PlantSnap, may be able to identify it....I'll see if I can use the app off of the photo you posted.
Edit: I just tried PlantSnap and didn't find anything matching. I'll continue to do more research...it'll be helpful to know what country this fruit is located.

Last edited:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Looks like a bitter melon. The fruit can be either edible OR toxic, depending on ripeness, so be careful. Over-ripe fruits will make you sick.

"The leaves and young fruits of Momordica balsamina are cooked and eaten as a vegetable in Cameroon, Sudan and southern Africa. The bitter young fruits have been reported widely as edible, whereas the ripe fruits cause vomiting and diarrhoea, and can be poisonous. The bright red fruit pulp is eaten in Namibia. Can harm dogs if they eat the ripe fruit. "

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Looks like a bitter melon. The fruit can be either edible OR toxic, depending on ripeness, so be careful. Over-ripe fruits will make you sick.

"The leaves and young fruits of Momordica balsamina are cooked and eaten as a vegetable in Cameroon, Sudan and southern Africa. The bitter young fruits have been reported widely as edible, whereas the ripe fruits cause vomiting and diarrhoea, and can be poisonous. The bright red fruit pulp is eaten in Namibia. Can harm dogs if they eat the ripe fruit. "
Thank you! I also found this link

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
A botanist (maybe at a university/college or local environmental organization) should be able to identify it
I really wish i know one. I friend of mine loves plants ao I'll ask them
Thank you!