• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bald spots on my 7 month old lovebird

Snowbirb

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
Snowii, my 7 month old dilute opaline lovebird who was hand raised since she was 1 month old, has some bald spots on her body (excluding her head.) Especially on her pelvic area, I am guessing this is feather plucking. And I have confirmed she doesnt have pbfd, (feather quilt-healthy, Behaviour - not depressed or less energetic. Excretion : healthy, solid and does not have mucus. But feathers - ruffled and untidy.) But I'm not really sure. She eats a pelleted diet (Roudybush) and I give her vegetables often. I am very concerned for this, and this started from the day she got a wound by strings. I sprayed the wound with lightly salted water and she had recovered, we are planning to ask a vet tomorrow. Here are pics:

Snowbirb

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
Snowii's plumage is getting pretty bad.. although she is still the sassy snowii I knew from the start. I recently have been seeing bald spots on her only on her body and not on her head at all, her beak and feet are okay too. No unusual droppings, just the plumage. I have been really sad and scared about this, what if she has pbfd?! She isnt losing any flight on tail feathers, basically some body feathers. I think this may be life because she preens a lot now? I would like some home remedies. And what brand feather spray I should buy.. and this is her first molt. 8-9 months old or maybe 7 months. I can kind of see pin feathers here and there, is this plucking?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It does look like plucking, however they usually can't pluck on their head and she looks a little sparse on her head too. A vet check is definitely what I would do.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And I have confirmed she doesnt have pbfd,
How? Take her to get tested.

Either another bird is picking on her, she has PBFD or there is another disease at play. Don´t use any sprays on her until you know what is going on.

First moults for lovebirds, as heavy as they are, they will never leave bald spots.

At this point a vet is non optional.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How long have you had her? I did not see you mention either way, but is she an only bird?

Snowbirb

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
This has happened against one of my budgies, but it was only a molt and all the feathers came back.

Snowbirb

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
And the problem is- I live in UAE and we dont have any professional vets here.. I have went to many vets here with yuko (budgie) and many has told he is a female-

Snowbirb

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
Update -

I had found out that this is sexual frustration, because the sparsness on her head is gone now. She has been displaying her wing and tail feathers to yuko (by turning her back to him, fanning both her wings and tail by opening them.) Then kneels down (the posture which females do so makes can get on her.) And he rejects. She also sometimes runs around my hand in circles, making this clicking noises and tries to mount on my hand (which is why I think she is a male) and I just take my hand away. I did lots of research and I also found out this is hypovitaminosis a, too, because of blunt pappilae in her choacal slit. And she slightly has lice, she preens a lot, specifically at night. I Am giving her vitamin a supplements for 2 weeks, the feathers on her head are all floofy, but when it comes to her body I can see bits chewed off her tail, wings and back feathers. As for her front chest, she still plucks. Any advice to stop her (without buying her a new mate)?

Snowbirb

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
Update - She has grown back her feathers on the body and head!

Reactions: Biz