• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bald Spot

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey all,

I noticed something on Paulie that looks like a bald spot. I've never noticed this on him before and was just wondering if it's a normal occurrence as he ages (he's gonna be 2 in March) or if it's seasonal (like the growing pin feathers on his head).

Can anyone weigh in?

20210201_183638.jpg

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Is he moulting? I think I see a couple more bald patches from the picture. Is there another bird that could be over-preening him? It could be something else, I'm no expert.

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
No, he doesn't appear to be molting. This is truly the only "bald spot" I've found on him. Once I noticed it i looked him over real good and this is the only weird thing on him.

No other birds in the house either. :thinking:

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
You haven't noticed him over-preening / itching himself more or plucking have you?
Any new stressors that are around?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
That looks like a wound to me. Can you handle your bird enough to investigate a bit more, and photograph what's under those feathers?

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
You haven't noticed him over-preening / itching himself more or plucking have you?
Any new stressors that are around?
The only new stressor I can consider is leaving the house for work 1 day a week but hubby says he hasn't noticed any increase in scratching or preening.

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
That looks like a wound to me. Can you handle your bird enough to investigate a bit more, and photograph what's under those feathers?
I can handle him or take a picture, but he won't allow both, lol! I did look him over a bit closer today and didn't see any scabs/deep scratches or anything concerning. In fact, looking him over today I wonder if maybe it could have been the angle I was looking at him through. This area looked much more "normal" today...

I guess I might have jumped the gun to freaking out... he still chirps, talks, eats, and forage normally. And he flies just fine.

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
You may try letting him take a bath. While his feathers are damp, it will be easier to look for feather or skin damage.
:bathtime:

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Do you notice grey down feathers hear the place? I get the feeling is over preening, but then it could be a wound too :shrug: