• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bald eagles across the United States are dying from lead poisoning

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not all Eagles live where there is ample feeding on fish. I wish I had my camera with yesterday. Road kill deer on the side of the road with 7 eagles sitting in the tree next to it. 4 adults and 3 juveniles. I watch the eagles hunt the fields all the time around here
That is a common sight here too. I frequently see eagles perched on branches over hanging our local river. But, the river is frozen over. I think they are mostly scavenging.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Here is a link to the raptor rehab place run by one of our local falconers. She's a biologist first that happened into rehab second. The bottom of the page has some additional resources.
Thanks for the article. I never doubted the fact lead can be eaten from lead bullets. I believe that happens and seen it happen. But my friend, bullets aren't the leading cause of lead poisoning. Lead comes from many environmental sources unfortunately.
Let me share a past report, do you recall the drug diclofenaIts It's veterinary anti-inflammatory drug that relieved pain in cattle. But proved highly toxic to vultures, eagles and other birds of prey. Just one carcass of cattle that had that drug could kill off dozens of bird in one go.
In 2007 alone, over 600 vultures died from it alone. That's not counting other birds.
I was cleaning out a barn last year, so I could use the wood. I found 2 55 gallon drums of DDT, that been sitting in them all these years. Can you believe that!?!? It was banned in the late 70's .
By the way, I'd cut my left hand off to spend a month with those eagles at that falconery there. I would love to visit that.!!

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael