• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bald black spots on face

anurim

Strolling the yard
Hi! This is my first post here, and I decided to do it because I couldn't find any related forums to what my cockatiel may have. It may be stupid, and not being related to his health, but it's better to be safe than sorry. So, kind of a little backstory, I got my cockatiel a month ago, I was so happy that I even forgot to ask how old he is. They told me he was still small, just not how small he is. He had a little bald spot right on top of his nostril. I didn't think much of it, it didn't seem that bad. 2 days ago I started to notice that that spot got a little black, and I just waited to see if anything happened. Today it looked like nothing changed, so I took some photos of it. The first photo is taken an hour ago I think and the other two a few minutes ago, it seems like the little black spots moved, can it be a parasite or something? Like little bugs? I didn't notice anything on his feathers and he seems fine, he is singing and flying in the room as usual. I also have to mention that I didn't deparasited him yet (I hope that's correct), I waited for him to become a little more comfortable with me so I wouldn't scare him off.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for the help anyway. I will try to take some pictures that are a little clear, don't know if I will succeed tho. He is a really active bird, he's always moving :). I will take him to the vet if it nothing happens.
I am sure some others will answer soon. Although, a vet check is always a good idea with any new bird. And yours is very cute. :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Any cats or dogs in your home?

anurim

Strolling the yard
ade0f3a3-1ec0-4cbf-9c7f-72baa65d10bd.jpg This is an older picture of him, before the black spots appeared. You can clearly see that he did have that bald patch near his nose. If you look closely and compare the rest of the photos you can see that the patch got a little smaller. maybe they are just some feather that are still growing? Before I got a bird I studied the species for maybe half a year, but I have never seen these kind of things. I thought it may be mites, but at the same time they weren't any on his feather (or at least I didn't see any). He doesn't really show signs of mites, but I will put some white paper on the bottom of the cage and I will look in the morning to see if there is any sign of them.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you certain it's not dried blood from a scab?

I think an avian vet is your best bet. What country are you in? We may be able to help you find one. It's always a good idea to get a new bird checked over by a vet to ensure they're healthy, and a vet would be able to get a closer, clearer look at the black spots.

Most birds don't need to be treated for parasites unless they've been living outdoors on have been in contact with birds that do have mites.

anurim

Strolling the yard

I think an avian vet is your best bet. What country are you in? We may be able to help you find one. It's always a good idea to get a new bird checked over by a vet to ensure they're healthy, and a vet would be able to get a closer, clearer look at the black spots.

Most birds don't need to be treated for parasites unless they've been living outdoors on have been in contact with birds that do have mites.
I'm pretty sure it's not, unless he hit something and I didn't see it or I didn't notice, I will go and look one more time and try to see if he will let me touch it. He has been to the first vet check when I got him but he was really stressed so the vet didn't look at him completely. The vet told me that I have to do a disinfestation on him with a solution oh the back of his neck like 3 times a year, but I've waited all this time to gain more trust and bond a little more with me.
I am from Romania, not a really known country so you may not know any avian vets here. I will try and research for any, if they are, and if not I will go to the petshop vet that first checked him. Thanks anyways!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Your bird is so cute! My first guess would be a scab or some stuck on food or something. I’m glad you found a vet and I hope everything goes well!

anurim

Strolling the yard

UPDATE:Well, you were totally right! It was actually just dried blood. I guess I was just going crazy when I thought I saw it moving. They also treated him for mites and other parasites just in case. Thanks for everyone who replied :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A scab was my first choice. I'm glad you took him in to the vet - now you have a relationship with a vet in case of any future emergencies. And you feel so much better now.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad it's not something more serious!