• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baking soda - internal

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So, as if this last few weeks haven't been hard enough...

Monaco's crop has looked "off" to me since yesterday. I don't know why, and I can't find anything wrong... I gave her a bath to see it better, then toweled her to get an even better look and palpate a little. I called the vet, and her previous owner.

I'm not a little stressed, and am probably overcompensating for being less vigilant this week. There are a few other factors to consider as well. Hormonal behaviors, I see new pin feathers coming on her face and head, and I am a proper wreck and her routines have been affected a lot for the whole week.

Anyway... Her former person said she doesn't see a problem, and she recommended a pinch of baking soda in water via syringe (a few drops) and /or in her water for a few days. I've read a lot about acv in water, but I haven't even had a chance to look at baking soda or do any research about it. I usually do a little bit at least before I post something here, but I just can't right now. She was instructed to do this for her CAG by her breeder about 20 years ago.

Any thoughts?

*I've determined so far that there's not an emergent situation, but I haven't decided everything is fine yet. Her cage is ready, and I know which vet to go to if anything changes.*

(She's currently claiming my dish rack, and has had grapes and her favorite tea, and wondering why I keep behaving so strangely and looking at her so askance.)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've not heard of the baking soda thing either... I know it's a treatment for heartburn in people, though.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I think it's really just a tool for pH issues. My mother takes it daily.

Last time Monaco went on a "junk food" binge, she felt awful and was a holy terror, I put acv in her water for a few days. She didn't overindulge on seeds this time, but she's been refusing most of her fresh food all week and eating mostly the roudybush pellets, which is just very abnormal.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is it the same mix she's been eating for a while? I think sometimes they just get bored!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Yeah. I do too! I hope we make it through the molt and the stress without much more anxiety. Ed says she usually molts around this time of year. I expect it's more the downy feathers and the "hair" like feathers, because the normal feathers seem to have a slow steady progression to their loss. I guess that's how all birds molt to some degree, though, right?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep, sounds pretty normal!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I’ve heard of people using it too but not sure about birbs. Hope everything is ok though! And I know exactly what you mean when you say you’re staring at her and she’s staring back wondering why you’re doing that. We do that here too :laugh: I’m also a bit of a worry wort, but better safe than sorry. Keep us posted!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I will. I need to get her monologues updated. I find clues and patterns in it that have been useful. As I'm typing this and the original, she's making a liar out of me...picking up fruit slices I didn't think she'd touch at all (new sizes, yikes!) It's not dispelling the worry yet, though.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Monaco
What is 'off' about the crop? Ekkies have a large large crop in comparison to other birds, and it empties even if it is not full (unlike most birds). So this can cause some issue if feed amount have changed (even if the bird is upset and doesnt eat enough because she is picking up off your emotions).

Baking soda is used in electrolyte solution, and used as an antacid for baby birds i have hand reared (other parrots). But Ekkies digest differently, and an antacid could hinder the HCL to break up the protein bonds in the food, making digestion more difficult.

So I wouldnt do anything until you know what the issue is (if there is one at all). My personal opinion? your baby is stressed from your current situation and after those pin feathers come through it will be A-ok. But in the meantime lower or eliminate the seeds in the diet, and par-boil (to soften) butternut squash for your baby :)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I forgot to say, also try Tulsi tea if she is a tea drinker like mine ;)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't believe in giving bird's baking soda as they don't should be basic in their crop.
I drink baking soda and to much you can't digest your food.
To give a bird the right amount and exactly when they don't digest is more difficult, so I don't recommend it.
And also baking soda is salt.

ACV is more correct to give.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Okay, thanks guys. She was definitely stressed. She seemed better the next day, and better the next.