• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad Vet?

EmmaAndEiffel

Sitting on the front steps
I apologise if this is in the wrong place

I brought my parrot to the vet to have his beak trimmed, the woman who usually takes him was out so another vet took him to the back to have it done...when he came back my parrot-who is usually complaining and trying to eat the vet after a beak trim- was just laying down with his head forward and his beak touching the bottom of the carrier. He stayed this way for about 30 minutes even after I tried to give him is favorite treats and toys. Im worried that the vet mishandled him or maybe gave him a sedative without my permission which would make me very angry.

Does anyone know if this behavior is the reaction of a sedative?

PS, When I questioned the vet about it he said he is just tired and asked me how old he is and what his lifespan is (my parrot is 7 and his species lives for around 20 years in captivity)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How is your parrot doing now? I doubt that the vet mishandled him, but he very well could have given him a sedative.
My Jasper has been under sedatives and anesthesia many times (she has chronic illnesses) and she has always been fine.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Sometimes after their annuals, my birds are a little tired from the handling, but they generally perk up as we're heading home. Was this an avian vet?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope your bird is doing OK now. He may have been stressed and tired from the handling and the trim and his beak may be hurting a little bit. Monitor his eating and drinking and his activity level and if there are issues be sure to contact the vet.

EmmaAndEiffel

Sitting on the front steps
He is doing ok now, but I don't think I will let that vet treat him again, My parrots beak looks liked like a hack job, it was higher on one side and they didn't trim it to a point like its supposed to be shaped, it was completely flat. I am not sure if he is an avian vet but they have told me they do have training for grooming purposes and emergencies. Thank you for letting me know your experiences, I hope he was just tired. He did perk up after a couple of hours and a nap, he didn't eat for the day but he was back to normal eating and whistling the next morning.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My conure requires beak trims for the rest of his life. The one time I decided to have my vet do it instead of myself, we both ended up more stressed over the situation than if I just did it at home... and my vet did it right in front of me. There was no taking him to the back room and doing it out of site... it was in the exam room with a vet tech.

My first vet always did things in the back room... now, I only want exams and everything else done in front of me, unless it's something like a surgery which needs to be performed in the back... in which case, I want pictures!