• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bad smell to morning poop

Dafna14495

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I have a 10yo blue crowned conure and last year his morning poop started to smell really bad. I have taken him to an avian vet and after a lot of testing to rule things out and trying 3 different antibiotics she stated that there must be a viral infection and there is nothing we can do about it.

I'm not really sure what I can do, the smell really bothers me but I also don't want to make my parrot go through all of these tests again when he seems ok other than that.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What are you feeding him? If you get rid of the poop right away the smell goes with it? (poop stinks :) )

You've done the tests and the bird acts fine. Personally if you don't like the smell, put on a mask when dealing with it.

Last edited:

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Try to get him to drink more. More fluids is always good.
Also you could try testing if it is caused by one of the foods he is eating. Remove one thing only for a couple of days and if the poop smells the same return that item to his diet and try the same thing with a different item of food.
Of course once all the foods have been tested it will only prove it was not any of his food.

Dafna14495

Checking out the neighborhood
it is just the poop that is smelly, after I clean the cage there is no smell (or if he poops elsewhere).

is there a way to make him drink more? I change his water daily and even twice a day.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
You could add a dish with watered down juice as well as the plain water. My darling doesn't like drinking plain water at all so he has different flavoured waters. Preferably use a crushed juice not from concentrate.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
it is just the poop that is smelly, after I clean the cage there is no smell (or if he poops elsewhere).

is there a way to make him drink more? I change his water daily and even twice a day.

If I am worried my bird is not drinking enough I will put something like a grape in his water dish. If he has had fruit already and I am worried about too much sugar then I will drop plastic beads in his water dish...... he can not resist sticking his beak in the water to check out what I have put in there and remove it which usually will prompt him to have a little drink while he is there throwing everything out of the dish onto the floor.

I honestly can not say I have ever noticed a smell to my birds poop. His paper will start to smell if I leave it sitting for too long.....I put it into the compost so sometimes I leave it in a bucket at the back door till I am ready to go up the back yard where the compost is and I have noticed that after a while the poopy paper starts to smell a bit sour.