• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad mood again

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I want him out of that cage anyhow, he has busted a heap of the welds and even totally snapped a bar so there is a pointy wire I have to cover with a wooden board and numerous loose bars not attached to their cross bar.
My dad is actually a welder/metal worker who made my awesome SS t stand but as I really want to move Burt out of that old damaged worn out cage into another I have for him I am not too bothered with the new damage he does.... the more he breaks it the faster I have no choice but to really upset him by moving him into the other cage which he hates.
Maybe if he hates moving cages he should learn not to reck his lovely cage he likes :meh:
How would you move him cages as he calmed down or be like this the whole few months ?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Is it hormones or is he going through some sort of butthead phase?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I want him out of that cage anyhow, he has busted a heap of the welds and even totally snapped a bar so there is a pointy wire I have to cover with a wooden board and numerous loose bars not attached to their cross bar.
My dad is actually a welder/metal worker who made my awesome SS t stand but as I really want to move Burt out of that old damaged worn out cage into another I have for him I am not too bothered with the new damage he does.... the more he breaks it the faster I have no choice but to really upset him by moving him into the other cage which he hates.
How cool your Dad has such a great skill! I can see now how you aren’t too bothered by Burt’s destruction on his old cage. With his temper about everything at times it’s a dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t with much of trying to keep him satisfied and happy. As long as he’s in his current piffey state of mind I’d get him in the other cage and hide the other one so he couldn’t see it. I thought it would be harder to get Henry to accept a new and different perch ) a large blue pumice safety perch) but it only took a week! I transitioned it in front of his food and water bowls when I could see he wasn’t afraid of it and would touch it with his feet. And… he’s not trying to destroy it…. Winning!!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Maybe if he hates moving cages he should learn not to reck his lovely cage he likes :meh:
How would you move him cages as he calmed down or be like this the whole few months ?
I most likely will have to force him in the other cage. I am hoping he will start calming down soon with the change of seasons.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is it hormones or is he going through some sort of butthead phase?
I would guess it is related to age and hormone changes.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I most likely will have to force him in the other cage. I am hoping he will start calming down soon with the change of seasons.
When is that likely to be hope it’s soon for you can’t be easy

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When is that likely to be hope it’s soon for you can’t be easy
I am hoping not till I can move (which seems to constantly get delayed as I should have already been there :/ ) I can not get either cage through the doorways so I would have to dismantle the new one and take it into Burts room and put it up then dismantle his current cage.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
He'll be back to himself before you know it :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He'll be back to himself before you know it :)
I can't wait. I miss him so much and it breaks my heart seeing him be so up tight and angry at everything. I miss my cheek kisses and feather sniffing lol

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Is the hormone teenage phase worse for macaws than other species?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Is the hormone teenage phase worse for macaws than other species?
Any species can become territorial and aggressive towards their caretakers. It’s as if they aren’t the same bird. Some birds… the larger species can be dangerous during this time. My male yellow nape can be a force to be reckoned with when his hormones take over. He’s not as big as Burt but he can do as much damage. It takes a whole lot of compassion and understanding to endure this behavior. They can’t help it. It give me sweaty pits!!! Thankfully my smaller birds don’t seem to go through a big swing in hormones. The males entertain toys or perches … the females are super flirty.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Actually, amazons and cockatoos are known to have the worst hormonal periods.
Very true here. Though I will say Lola is barely noticeable in hormone behavior. She will get a little “clucky” vocally and when she politely asks for head scratches she will keep her feathers tight and level her body position. During this phase I barely touch her so as not to encourage her. Nice to have one of the hot three that isn’t violent during the season. She can have a little piffy attitude when I don’t oblige the touch she wants but she is nothing like Henry. She will be 17 this year… and so far has not laid one egg. ( hope I didn’t jinx myself!)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Oh good :roflmao:

Well, further into the deep end I go :lol:
Do you know when her hormonal periods start I hope she’s a good girl for you