• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Bad foot

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can try the S76 (or equivalent) in water. I prefer to catch all mine and apply it. Yes, it is the slower way but it gives me the chance to feel the body and see what is wrong, like check keelbone for sharpness, also trim nails.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Maybe it's not mites. Could she be an older bird?

EDIT: I'm also seeing a darkish spot on the 2nd toe. That could be a couple of things, unless you know of an injury that has occurred. I would take this little one to the vet.

Last edited:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Maybe it's not mites. Could she be an older bird?
I did wonder. She is much bigger than the others. I was told all show type, but no ages.

Did you see my post before you posted?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I did wonder. She is much bigger than the others. I was told all show type, but no ages.

Did you see my post before you posted?
Hah. Let me go back a few.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Right...

Just went out there. All the other birds are fine, both feet and faces, at the moment. Th e bird in question is the only one. If it helps at all, it appears to have thicker feet than the other finches, at least double.

Should I seperate her off asap? I know I will still have to treat them all if it is, but it minimises risk
Here

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hmmm
Well you could. Depends on how stressed it's going to make her to leave her flock.

They're already exposed. However, these mites attack the weaker of the flock... now you know who that is. :(

The scales on an older bird do become more pronounced. But I believe I'm seeing some areas more whitish/infected than others. And there's the issue of the small necrotic or infection spot on the next toe.

OK I talked myself into a 'yes.' Yes, separate her out.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
OK I talked myself into a 'yes.' Yes, separate her out
Ok. Now I need to work out how.

I feel ashamed of myself. This has been like this for weeks, and I only noticed today whilst setting that image as my phone background. I don't feel like I deserve the right to own birds right now

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
With it being so long, and no more infected, wouldn't the others be infected by now? The 5 new finches all came together from the same aviary, so they should all be infected, right?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It is the feared.

I don't need a vet to tell me it is now. I just went out and it looks like it to me. The budgies feet look greyish a bit like it too, but I'm not sure if that is just them naturally.

Do I need a vet for treatment, for should I use the things you linked?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When I see a problem, I treat everybirdy. Even ONE mite or a single coccidia oocyst can lead to more infestation.

So - yes. Treat them all. You can use the products linked, but since you do have vet access it might be a good idea to have her checked.

I treat with SCATT day 1 & 21. Spray room (aviary, for you) at the same time.

OR use S76 in the water 2 days every other week x3, also spraying aviary.

Don't know the UK equivalents.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
With it being so long, and no more infected, wouldn't the others be infected by now? The 5 new finches all came together from the same aviary, so they should all be infected, right?
We don't know. That type of mite takes a very long time to show. Also they tend to infest the weaker birds so that's why you can have one infected and one not.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
use S76 in the water 2 days every other week x3, also spraying aviary.
Is this just as effective? I think it would be easier than treating with the Scatt and having to catch them all twice.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have both available to me
Great
Is this just as effective? I think it would be easier than treating with the Scatt and having to catch them all twice.
I think so. But here's why I prefer SCATT even tho it means catching all the birds.

We don't know for sure how much each one drinks. What if they're having an off day and don't drink much? What if the medicine tastes bad so they drink less? It's not clear whether they get a whole dose, but sCATT they definitely do.

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This is why quarantine, and a vet check during this time is so important. It´s why we bang on and on about it to people going out buying additional birds.

Be sure to keep your new bird and your p´lets away from them and be extremely careful between handling birds - wash hands, change shirt, change pants if they have been climbing on you.

Good luck catching them :)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Bad news @finchly

All these products are on back order for at least a week, if not two, EVERYWHERE

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Good news...
We are getting it ordered tonight. Hoping we aren't too late by then. I'm going to do tje indoor birds too