• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad feather condition

parrotman

Strolling the yard
IMG_20200707_084613.jpg My parrot's flight feather's always look damaged ever since I got him 7 months ago, He has gone through his first moult. Could he have a vitamin deficiency that is causing his feathers to be like this or perhaps his diet?, I've been feeding my bird a seed mix for the last 7 months. (he isn't plucking, his chest feathers were also like that when we got him)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is time for a veterinarian visit for a wellness exam. Feather quality will defiantly be related to diet. However it can sometimes be from other illnesses that can't be determined without a few tests.

Destruction can also be from emotional stress, diet would be the easiest fix!

While you wait for your vet visit you should try offering some veggies and fruits. You may find he likes a wide range of things. IRN can be good eaters when they have a chance to test things. If a new veggie or fruit scares him just place it in his bowl and he might come up with the courage. If not don't give up and keep offering it everyday. He may try it again and realise it is actually very tasty :)

Can you send a picture of the cage set up and a photo of the daily diet? It will help us help you. We can only help in husbandry, ideas for your enclosure and ideas on enrichment or diet. You will need to go to a vet to determine any underlying health issues.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
His feathers are more vibrant and his chest feathers are better now.
That is good to hear.

IRN can molt pretty dramatically, you may have just witnessed your first molt. :)

Reactions: Ali