• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bad beak trim?

Lynx

Moving in
A couple of days ago I took my Senegal Sammy to a vet to get checked up, see if his beak and nails needed trimmed. They said his nails were fine but the beak was a little on the long side. Since then Sammy has been acting pouty in his cage and not eating his seed and pellet mix. He even won't eat apple chunks, with is his favorite. Today I have him a scrambled egg with a very small bit of bread. He ate some but not much. I need to know if he's just a little freaked out still, or if the vet screwed up. There's no blood but when I saw him try part of a bit he shook his head a lot then got real cuddly. 20180616_105245.jpg

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
It's likely that the trim left him feeling pretty uncomfortable. Cake had the same response after having his beak trimmed some time ago - pouty, not wanting to eat harder food. I ended up making him a soft mash with pellets, chop, and unsweetened applesauce, and he took to that.

You can always call your vet and ask their opinion. Minor pain relief might be an option.

Lynx

Moving in
Might try giving him soft foods. Not sure I really want to go back to that vet unless necessary. Didn't really feel like a vet office or that they knew all that much about birds. Also severely over charged for their services.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would definitely call this place back and give them feedback on how uncomfortable they made your bird. I have no experience with beak trims so I am sorry I cannot offer any ideas on how long discomfort last. Seem to be if it was trimmed correctly there would be no discomfort.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Looks like they might have been a bit aggressive on the trim & its blunt. The beak looks fine but I;m not sure what it looked like before & most beaks are more pointy so his beak may be sensitive now.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Might try giving him soft foods. Not sure I really want to go back to that vet unless necessary. Didn't really feel like a vet office or that they knew all that much about birds. Also severely over charged for their services.

I think Cake's discomfort was gone within 4-5 days. The important thing in the meantime is to make sure that he continues eating and drinking, so offering soft foods is a must if he's refusing harder foods. If he continues to refuse food, your vet could prescribe pain relief without bringing him in or you paying for another office visit, since you'd already have an established patient-client relationship with them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Poor Sammy, I hope this stops being a problem very soon.

Lynx

Moving in
Update: Still no answer from the vet, really won't be going back there if they refuse to talk about possible problems or mistakes.
Sammy is eating a little better now. Been giving him veggies and soft fruit. Turns out he really likes corn. :)