• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent BACTERIA INFECTION AGAIN? CONSTANT VOMITTING

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hello everyone.

My lovebird is having some issues again. So previously my lovebird has a lot of bubbles and vomits whenever he wakes up. So we went to the vet, did all the tests and I gave him nystatin. Somehow, he just recovered while we are waiting for the crop and fiscal test.
The crop test shows that he has bacteria but we didn't give him any antibiotics as he has recovered. The fiscal test shows no bacteria after incubating and no yeast is found.

So fast forward 3 months of being in good health, he is now sick again... Having the same symptoms.
He is constantly vomiting or rather, feeling nauseous. He hardly vomits food out, it is always he vomits, and then he swallows back his food that reaches his beak from the crop.
This scenario happens 5-6times a day and lasted for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes when he is "vomiting" and I passed him his favorite food such as apples, corn, he will stop immediately. However, if there is no one at home, he can "vomit" for up to 30 minutes before he finally stops.
The vet suspect it might be behavioral as he seemed to be able to stop if I show him his favorite food.

So last 2 weeks, we went to the vet when this happen and the vomiting is not so frequent.
Crop test shows that he has heavy growth of this bacteria called acinetobacter junii, and we were given doxycycline for 14 days 0.1ml twice a day, and marbofloxacin 0.02ml once a day.
We finished up to the 10th day, however, he is "vomiting" more and more frequently.

So we stopped the medication on the 10th day and went to the vet. I heard doxycycline is a harsh antibiotic that might cause side effects.
We did another crop and fiscal test and we waited for the result.
One week has passed but his vomiting is still not subsetting, this is then I think his vomiting is not due to the antibiotics.

And the crop result is out, the same bacteria is still in heavy growth!!! I wondered why actually as we have already been given 10 days of antibiotics.
Anyway, we are now back to square 1 where we are given 14 days of the same antibiotics and asked to finish the course.

But his vomiting is still not getting better, and he losses weight to 39g now for an adult lovebird.
I was wondering if I should give him nystatin as the previous time he mystically recovered without any antibiotics. However, his crop and the fiscal result show no yeast to be found.

On the side note, his poop is nicely formed with no diarrhea, but his urine is sometimes yellow. I heard yellow urine means kidney or liver problem. But sometimes he have clear urine.

Also, his throat (esophagus) has bubbles forming, I can see them when he yawns.

Does anyone have a similar issue with their parrots having on and off infection? I doubt his vomiting is caused by the bacteria in his crop as we are on the antibiotics but I don't see a reduction in vomiting.

Appreciate all your replies, i am out of wit :/

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If he has bacteria, I would assume that is causing the vomiting. Have you discussed with your vet trying a different antibiotic? I would also ask your vet about giving him probiotics. I hope he feels better soon.

@Mizzely ?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Definitely try a different med..Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic..ask your vet..Doxycycline is harsh..I've had it prescribed also and it didn't set well..Hope hes ok. :hug8:

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi there, thank you so much for all your replies. I actually spoke to my vet about baytril, however the culture report shows that the bacterial is not sensitive to the baytril and other medication are injectable instead of orally taken.

can I ask what is the side effect you guys encounter when giving doxycycline to your birds?

I am actually more concern on his kidney and liver…. I gotten the liver tonic from the vet as well and to mix it inside his drinking water for him to drink. I found milk thistle from the local pet store for dogs and cats, the shop owner told me it is suitable for birds as well. The ingredients contains glycerin, will it cause any harm to my birds if I were to give it to him? Any one have any experience in giving milk thistle to their birdies?

He is on probiotics on a daily basis, I will add it inside his drinking water everyday.

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Also, if I actually ask my vet to change his medication while we are halfway through the Medication, will it be like he have to restart the whole regime again :/

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi there, thank you so much for all your replies. However I don’t live in the US so I might need some time for the item to get shipped to me.

Meanwhile can I ask what side effect of doxycycline did any of you encounter so that I can gauge his behaviour whether is due to the medication or his own illness.

Also I was thinking if his vomiting does not subset after the antibiotics regime, I was thinking to bring him for a crop wash although the vet says it’s possess some risk….

can anyone share their experience of crop wash?

Thank you so much and I really appreciate all your replies.