• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Backyard herping

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Found this gorgeous specimen while cleaning up my mess from breaking down my old hawk house and preparing to rebuild. Hiding under some shingles. She struck at me several times as I worked around her. This the first time I’ve had one big enough to think about taking me on rather than just getting away.

Attachments

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've always wanted to see a rattlesnake live and in person. I don't have a huge fascination with reptiles, but I always like it when I see them. I think I've seen small rattlers before while trout fishing mid-spring. They were slow moving though and I was concentrating more on the trout than the little snakes crawling over my rubber boots. They certainly had rattler like heads on them but looked too young to have much of a rattle. I'm not great at my snake ID skills.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I'm going to see a lot more of those garter snakes soon. My neighbor apparently had a den of them in his yard where an old walnut stump had decomposed. He dug it up though and tried to smoke them out. I'm not sure why he felt such a need to make them go away. They are going to be searching for a new winter spot and my yard might be it if they can find a suitable place.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can I assume this is a bull snake and not a rattler? You said rattle, so I assumed rattler. Then I decided the head didn't look right and I remembered something about bull snakes mimicking a rattle. Again with the mediocre snake ID skills though.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wow, very pretty snake. I love watching snakes they are amazing.

I do not think I could get a pic that good of our locals though.

Are the snakes there not very dangerous? Or have you guys just got great photography skills?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, very pretty snake. I love watching snakes they are amazing.

I do not think I could get a pic that good of our locals though.

Are the snakes there not very dangerous? Or have you guys just got great photography skills?
Garter snakes are not very dangerous. My particular area of the US has few venomous snakes. We have a couple species of rattle snake, but they aren't common. I give no thought to hiking across a pile of tall grass or brush no matter what time of year it is. In other parts of the US, that would be a stupid move. The southern and western part of the US are most known for having a variety of venomous snakes.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Can I assume this is a bull snake and not a rattler? You said rattle, so I assumed rattler. Then I decided the head didn't look right and I remembered something about bull snakes mimicking a rattle. Again with the mediocre snake ID skills though.
We have always assumed we had bull snakes. Our DNR page posted some pics about Bullsnakes and I posted this and they told me it is a western fox snake. I actually have a video of it rattling. I post that later

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I live in central Arizona, just where the Ponderosa pines start and it is known as a very snaky area. I've lived in this house for 20 years, with a 10 acre pasture to the East and a large horse corral to the North. I have never seen a rattlesnake here - it's amazing. A couple of people down the road have had dogs bitten by rattlers, but none here.

I usually have about 1/2 dozen yard snakes (don't have a clue what they are, but they sure keep the crickets at bay. I threaten the yard guy not to mow them every time. LOL

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I live in central Arizona, just where the Ponderosa pines start and it is known as a very snaky area. I've lived in this house for 20 years, with a 10 acre pasture to the East and a large horse corral to the North. I have never seen a rattlesnake here - it's amazing. A couple of people down the road have had dogs bitten by rattlers, but none here.

I usually have about 1/2 dozen yard snakes (don't have a clue what they are, but they sure keep the crickets at bay. I threaten the yard guy not to mow them every time. LOL
Your lucky you have no rattlers by you. When I was 14 I used to ride my Honda 70 down to farm to bail hay. One day while loading the conveyer up to barn, i grabbed a bail to throw in conveyer, and got whack on hand between thumb and forefinger.
The snake was a Michigan rattler, they don't get very big, this one was about a foot long, not full grown. It got caught in the twine on the bail. One mad snake lol. I don't think you'll die from a Michigan rattler, but my hand sure swelled up.
Still had to have a couple shots. Keeps the skin from breaking down from the poison. Still got the darn scars to this day.
massasauga_original.jpg

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Hawk12237 My vet and his tech who is a very strange (but wonderful ) come up here to hunt rattle snakes. The last time they came snake hunting they were so proud - they found two black rattle snakes that are quite rare. Very proud of themselves.

Here is a big boy/girl from Arizona;

1589987133599.png

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 My vet and his tech who is a very strange (but wonderful ) come up here to hunt rattle snakes. The last time they came snake hunting they were so proud - they found two black rattle snakes that are quite rare. Very proud of themselves.

Here is a big boy/girl from Arizona;

View attachment 339143
Whoa!! I mean...whoa!! That's a monster. Surely wouldn't want to get bit by that. The Michigan Massasauga rattler may be small, but it's among those rattlers with the most potent venom. Thing is when it bites it releases very little venom. Still hurts like the dickens when bitten. Like being stung by hundreds of bees in the same spot.
When I was in carlsbad, New Mexico, I encountered a good size rattler. 3- 3 1/2 feet.
Also got to try smoked rattled down there. Wasn't bad, a bit salty.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Usually a quick way to ID a poisonous snake vs. A non-poisonous one is the eyes. Poisonous ones usually have diamond shape cat eye pupils, where a non poisonous one the pupils are round.
images-2.jpeg
The exception to this rule is the cobra, it's eyes are round.

Last edited:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Awesome snake pictures.

The round vs slit pupil information is not a great source to go by, as many venomous snakes have round pupils, including the coral snake of North America, which has the second strongest venom of any snake. Coral snakes also look like a lot non-venomous milk and king snakes that also have round pupils.

Head shape is also commonly cited in identifying venomous and non-venomous snakes, but that is also a bad barometer.

The bottom line is that snakes, venomous or not, are not out to get anyone, want to stay away from humans and will give us strong warning signs before attempting to strike. The rule is: Don't touch any snake you cannot 100% positively identify.

Garters snakes actually do have a very mild venom that is harmless to humans but harmful to their prey. One species is also poisonous, because it eats poisonous newts and retains the poison.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Awesome snake pictures.

The round vs slit pupil information is not a great source to go by, as many venomous snakes have round pupils, including the coral snake of North America, which has the second strongest venom of any snake. Coral snakes also look like a lot non-venomous milk and king snakes that also have round pupils.

Head shape is also commonly cited in identifying venomous and non-venomous snakes, but that is also a bad barometer.

The bottom line is that snakes, venomous or not, are not out to get anyone, want to stay away from humans and will give us strong warning signs before attempting to strike. The rule is: Don't touch any snake you cannot 100% positively identify.

Garters snakes actually do have a very mild venom that is harmless to humans but harmful to their prey. One species is also poisonous, because it eats poisonous newts and retains the poison.
Yea I know, it was an old saying my grandfather taught me when I was little back in the early 60's. It's somewhat true to a degree. But there are a few that are poisonous that have round eyes.
He was one of those outdoors men that liked the wilderness. Always said to watch the eyes as it will tell you whether it's poisonous or not.
But truth is like you said, there are a handful of poisonous snakes that have round eyes too. I'm no snake expert, but can say I had my shares of run ins.
When I was in service I was stationed in brazil, did some retrofits on aircrafts. On a three day leave we went down the amazon...got my first look at the biggest darn snake I ever seen. An Anaconda that was huge! Lol...all I seen was the body, it keep going and going and going I thought, geez where's the end of the snake! Not sure what type of anaconda, as I'm no expert on each type.
But can say, that baby could have swallowed us whole, and not have to burp after. Lol ...

Last edited:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
And here I was feeling proud of this picture I took of a cute lil baby snake I found while working on my greenhouse.

20200528_155700.jpg
(fir needles included for scale)

You guys have much cooler snakes in your backyard.