• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Backwards Pionus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
My maximillian pionus, Rowan, walks backward a lot. Possibly more than she walks forward. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with her feet or legs. Any ideas why she does this? I've never seen any other bird get stuck in reverse before. :rolleyes:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I honestly do not think it is anything to worry about...she just likes to walk backwards...

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Because Hardy (my Maxi Pi) is missing his right wing and right foot, he did a lot of circles when he was a chick learning how to balance himself and get around. Now he seldom does it, but when he gets nervous or over-excited, he'll throw in a circle or two. Maybe your Pi did a lot of backing up as a chick and just reverts back to it now and then .... :D

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Maybe she just wants to see where she has been.

I wouldn't think that anything could be wrong, how is she eating,drinking and pooping. Has she had any head trauma. If it isn't causing any problems I would just ask the vet the next time she goes in for a check-up, is this something she has just started doing?

Dani

Avenue Veteran
My Bronson likes to back up a lot too, especially across the top of her cage when she is out! She is a real pro at reverse. I never thought it odd though......now that you mention it, maybe it is odd behavior. :huh:

Feather

Avenue Veteran
She's been doing it for as long as I've had her. I just regard it as a strange habit which is probably all it is. :rolleyes: If Bronson does it too, maybe it's just a pionus thing.
Thanks for all the responses! And I'll bring it up to the vet on the next visit.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
When we 1st got Jasper ( Hahns Macaw) He walked backwards all the time. It was kind of funny. My husband used to always say that his reverse button was stuck

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Status
Not open for further replies.