• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Backpack carrier

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Has anyone of you tried this for a budgie/Parrotlet? It says "parrot carrier capsule breathable"

I have questions about the plastic capsule, it seems very hot under in Summer time?
I see holes all around for fresh air, hopefully they aren't small enough for a little bird to stick its head through

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I got one for Slade before his vet appointment. They're not super easy to open, and they may be breathable but I would recommend a small fan in the pocket. I ended up not using it for him and got a Birdie GoGo instead (which I do love, but it's expensive as heck). I will be using the astronaut bubble for Ollie and Diggle though and I just have a small usb chargeable fan I'm going to put in the pocket and turn on as needed. Give me a few and I'll compare the hole to something recognizable.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you Morgan, that's exactly what I wanted to know!! Very clever with the rope inside ;) I've seen the exact same model but with a perch holder inside, it costs 3 times the price... :faint:
I'm not 100% sure I want to buy one yet, I don't really like that Pichu would be in my back and not see me, he is not any adventurous little guy so he gets stressed when we go new places. Ideally, I would buy a little capsule hanging on my shoulder so he could sit there while we explore the world together :smuggrin:

About the Birdie Gogo, isn't Slade chewing the mesh? Pichu is doing that the whole time he is in his carrier...

Last edited:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This is super helpful! Thank you for measuring for us Morgan! I too have wondered about those holes.

:sunflower:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
This is super helpful! Thank you for measuring for us Morgan! I too have wondered about those holes.

:sunflower:
No problem! I wondered myself as well but when I found a cheap one I figured I might as well just try it.

There is a side part that unzips on the one side as well. That's how I'm going to use it for Ollie and Diggle since they're more handle-able than Slade is. :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I wanted a bird backpack carrier and like you I found that one but. Even though there is a few holes in it I worry that it would get to hot during the summer.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Carrier-L...?keywords=bird+carrier&qid=1568798026&sr=8-12

I decided to get this one instead as it’s got more air circulation and I can hold it by my side so I can see him instead of having him on my back.
I would think the holes are too large for a parrotlet on that one too.. Isn't it warm in yours during the summer, since it is also plastic?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
If you can save the money I would definitely suggest a Birdie GoGo. It is expensive but after getting one, it's definitely worth it. It is lighter than the Pak o Bird and also has more area for them to see out of. I also like the color choices ;) Celltei Birdie GoGo Medium - Stylish, No-frill and "Snap-and-Go" Design for Birds There is also the smaller shoulder Birdie Pouch, but it has only the original color choices. Celltei Birdie Pouch - A Fanny Pack protect and allow your bird to stay on your shoulder level or around your waistline

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If you can save the money I would definitely suggest a Birdie GoGo. It is expensive but after getting one, it's definitely worth it. It is lighter than the Pak o Bird and also has more area for them to see out of. I also like the color choices ;) Celltei Birdie GoGo Medium - Stylish, No-frill and "Snap-and-Go" Design for Birds There is also the smaller shoulder Birdie Pouch, but it has only the original color choices. Celltei Birdie Pouch - A Fanny Pack protect and allow your bird to stay on your shoulder level or around your waistline
Thanks, sounds interesting but as you say, the prices are steep!! I really don't care about colors, original is fine with me :D
Is the mesh made of metal? I don't really get how that pouch is supposed to work; do people go around with that on their shoulder??

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Thanks, sounds interesting but as you say, the prices are steep!! I really don't care about colors, original is fine with me :D
Is the mesh made of metal? I don't really get how that pouch is supposed to work; do people go around with that on their shoulder??
It is, stainless steel, that's why I like it. Apparently it can go on the shoulder or as a fanny pack (bum bag). The original Pak o Bird is about 100 more than the Birdie GoGo so I was more influenced for the Birdie GoGo from the beginning :lol:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I like the idea of metal mesh too, the one on my carrier will not last long and I only have a parrotlet.. Can't imagine how a bigger would stay confined in there.
However I'm not prepared to spend that much money on a carrier... I'll have to think about it a little more :D

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I would think the holes are too large for a parrotlet on that one too.. Isn't it warm in yours during the summer, since it is also plastic?
There’s two sides that are completely mesh so I hope not! I haven’t gotten it yet, still shipping.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I like the idea of metal mesh too, the one on my carrier will not last long and I only have a parrotlet.. Can't imagine how a bigger would stay confined in there.
However I'm not prepared to spend that much money on a carrier... I'll have to think about it a little more :D
Honestly I wouldn't have if my husband hadn't told me to buy it. He knew it's what I really wanted and he wanted something we knew would be safe for Slade. I got a sick feeling in my stomach spending that much on a carrier though, and I even was able to get a few discounts. OH, if you do decide to get one, make sure to register for their site before check out, it will save you 5% on their site for life, plus there is a new pet code somewhere on their you can use as well :D

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
There’s two sides that are completely mesh so I hope not! I haven’t gotten it yet, still shipping.
No I meant on the acrylic one.
As for the birdy gogo I'm not sure I can get the discounts since I'm not in the US, and shipping comes on top, usually as much as what I want to buy if not more so, er...