• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Back-up plan is crucial!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barbi
I was inspired to start a new thread after reading another and seeing that so many do not have an emergency back-up plan for their birds.
I traveled 1200 miles to get Krickett and made a 4 week road trip out of it selling my wares at bird marts. She was surprised at 8 weeks old to find we had a home that wasn't rolling down the highway at 75mph. So, I have always taken her with me when I travel. I specifically chose a Yellow Collar Macaw because she was likely to travel well and do well with strangers. Since then we have gotten an RV and she has a cage set up in there and one always ready in the back seat of the truck. Occasionally Jeff and I will go away just for an over-nighter and leave Krickett half covered half uncovered at home and she does not seem to notice we are even gone. We also leave the TV on because that is what she is used to. One time we had to leave in an emergency situation, had 3 grandkids in our custody and they were in the backseat and we couldn't take her along AND I didn't know how long we were going to be gone. I had never considered finding a sitter for her and just did not have time to wrap my mind around it at that frantic time. I ran her to a neighbor's in her travel cage and asked them to keep her for us until we returned...they had always been friendly to her and interested when they visited so I thought it would do in a pinch...NOT!!! More than a week later we returned to a bald bellied bird, her cage sitting on the floor in a dark corner of the house with an icky water bowl and the bags of foods and seeds I had left still nearly full. That was in late Dec of '08 and we are still working on the feather plucking. I expect that we will always be able to take her with us when we are gone for more than 24 hours, but have since found someone reliable that I can leave her with if another emergency comes up, the owner of our local feed and gardening store. He will keep her in the store and cover her before they all leave for the evening. This will suit Krickett just fine as she has always been a bird mart bird and enjoys strangers interacting with her.
For all of you that do not have an emergency plan, please please please consider making one so your birds don't have the same unfortunate experience that Krickett had.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Yes - I had covered the emergency vet thing, I dont know that we put much thought into who would care for our bird if we had to leave unexpectedly......Thank! We will look into this!

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Great reminder...thanks for bringing it up.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Great idea, for all kinds of pets! I'm so sorry that she wasn't cared for properly when you had to leave unexpectedly in 08. :hug8:

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
I agree, emergency plans are soo important!

Another thing to consider is having a pet "emergency kit". Just like you're supposed to have emergency supplies on hand for the people in your family, I like to have extra food/water and other supplies for my pets, in case we have to leave them with someone, evacuate for some reason, get snowed in, etc.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Very good reminder! I have 2 pet sitters that I use in case one is not available I have the other one I can go with. One of the vet techs at my avian vet's office also lives nearby in an extreme emergency.

Good point about having a pet emergency kit too. I remember reading an article in Bird Talk about someone in Southern California who had to evacuate due to the fires and found that she had not been checking the kit and insects had gotten in it so it was a good reminder that those emergency kits need to be checked periodically and items that expire or or ruined need to be replaced just like our human emergency kits.

Another thing this topic made me think of is long term emergencies. I know if I'm in an accident and become unable to care for my birds my husband knows what to do but if it becomes long term and I'm not going to be able to return to caring for my birds then since they are all Mickaboo birds he would contact them to place my birds back in foster care/adoptive homes but I realize I need to let others know of these arrangements...what if we are both injured and no one will know to contact Mickaboo or even that my birds are alone :(. This did happen to someone I know and thankfully all her birds found a safe place to go including her special needs bird. It's not pleasant to think about but it's a something that should be planned for. I'm going to talk with my neighbors that are friends of ours and let them know who to contact.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
If I am unable to board Pickle (more on that below) I can leave Pickle in the care of a co-worker (be it at their home OR in the office) or with my parents. If I needed assistance long-term, I would likely rely on the broto_list folks at Yahoo or other local parrot-savvy people I've met in recent years.

It's all but impossible to rely on a business or veterinarian to help me out in the case of an emergency. The stores/vets in my area require blood testing within a certain time frame (results as little as 2 weeks before the intended time of boarding but certainly no more than 6 months) and reservations made well in advance. That simply does not accomodate a sudden emergency.

I understand why stores/vets have these requirements in place... but question their own biosecurity when parrots are allowed in the store/office for grooming without the same requirements. None of the stores/vets in my area have a seperate, secure drop-off/pick-up for boarding, nor do they offer the same for grooming. Not to mention the whole bringing sick pets to the vet for treatment -- a person with a contagious parrot can sit next to me while Pickle is waiting for to be seen for a well-bird visit.

Just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.