• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Back-up leash for harness?

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
hello all!!!!

i’m a very, very anxious person.

unfortunately, this has been…preventing harness progress because i am so nervous about taking my bird outside- or more specifically, i’m terrified the leash will break...( ~i’m tackling the aviator )

i’m well aware it’s not very likely, but that doesn’t really do much to ease my anxiety. this is very frustrating because i truly do WANT to take him outside, and i can tell he wants it to.

something that i think would really ease my mind is having some sort of back-up leash clipped onto either the harness itself, or possibly a D-ring of sorts. ( the back-up one would be longer as to allow the regular leash to take the impact as it normally would )

my question is: would this affect the functionality of the harness? or is there anything else of concern/potential hazard?

i’m also open to any suggestions!!

i’m sorry if this is extremely stupid- i just thought putting it out there would achieve more than stewing on it by myself.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
If it would make you feel better, there are many spots you could clip a secondary leash to the aviator harness, so I don't see a problem with what you're planning.
Just ensure the secondary leash and mechanism of attachment are appropriately sized for your species so it isn't too heavy.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your bird is small so any extra weight is going to be hard for it. I have used the aviator outside with my macaw without leash issues.
I think if you aren’t comfortable trusting the leash that you should possibly consider using a travel cage instead for outings.

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
Your bird is small so any extra weight is going to be hard for it. I have used the aviator outside with my macaw without leash issues.
I think if you aren’t comfortable trusting the leash that you should possibly consider using a travel cage instead for outings.
yeah, the weight was my main concern!!

i have opted for the travel cage instead, but unfortunately my tiel doesn’t seem to like it all that much. i don’t think he likes the separation/barrier of the cage walls and i hate that it’s a stressful situation for him.

i guess i’ll either figure something else out or overcome my anxiety…in the meantime, i will continue to use the carrier cage and give him lots of comfort :)

thank you regardless!

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
th
If it would make you feel better, there are many spots you could clip a secondary leash to the aviator harness, so I don't see a problem with what you're planning.
Just ensure the secondary leash and mechanism of attachment are appropriately sized for your species so it isn't too heavy.
thank you for your reply!!

i totally agree with the weight concern. it is one of the only reasons why i haven’t already attempted it-

back to the drawing board i suppose :p

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you actually tested the strength of the leash attachment?

I think you’ll find that way more force will be needed to break it than your tiel is capable of.

If it’s safe to fly a macaw on then I think it’s fair to say it’s safe to use with a tiny bird who weighs a hell of a lot less and has no where near the flying strength of a macaw.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
If it’s safe to fly a macaw on then I think it’s fair to say it’s safe to use with a tiny bird who weighs a hell of a lot less and has no where near the flying strength of a macaw.
I have three sizes and the large macaw size is heavier than the smaller sizes, but generally agree they're all robust and suited to their task.