• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Back turned to me

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Hello, hope you are having a wonderful day. I'm typing this on a phone so I apologize for typing mistakes. I have a 6 month old cockatiel whos name is Sunflower. He loves eating millet and seeb from my hand. Today, he spent most of the day (in my room in his cage) with his back towards me and facing the wall. He isnt to the point of accepting scritches or stepping up. Is this normal? I assume he might be bored (ordering new toys+larger cage!) and he doesnt come out of his cage as I leave it open and he ignores it. Hopefully this means he trusts his environment enough so he doesnt have to look a me?

Thanks a ton for any help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think it´s very important to not let our birds be lonely. If he doesn´t have a bird companion, then you could spend more time near the cage talking to him, feeding him some treats through the cage bars - if he won´t accept the treats, fix an empty bowl inside the cage, and then you can push the treat through the bars to fall in the bowl for him.
Read books/magazines/online articles, or sing songs, maybe some music on low volume. See what he likes, what peaks his interest :)

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
So to clarify, he's lonely? I will def spend more time with him!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
I was worried he was sick but he doesnt have other symptoms...he's not right?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was worried he was sick but he doesnt have other symptoms...he's not right?
It's hard to tell that based on the limited information provided. If he has no other symptoms then I wouldn't think this is connected to illness.