• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Back in?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
@finchly would know, she has a bunch.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I used a butterfly net do you capture mine that were loose

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would think it is the same as other birds, they will return to their cage for food and water.
@fashionfobie lets her finches out daily
@finchly

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Let me and I kept my finches wild and did not handle them and they can fly in their cage but these were escaped finches and I didn’t want the others out ps In one cage I had 20 finches

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you get finches back in their cage once taken out?
Just to add, remember how little finches are and take the time to really go around and double check that your room is bird proofed. They can get into all sorts of little spaces and they are very fragile. Use towels, boxes, teeshirts, whatever you have to hand to block off little gaps on bookshelves and under the sofa. Covering mirrors and closing the curtains etc :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yes my boys only fly for maybe 1 hr to 1.5 hr. Then they return to the cage for food and water. Leave the food in their cage and they will return :)

Finches are pretty good around the home, but as Zara said you must bird proof the area. I keep most of my riskier bird items in my bedroom and close the door.

My finches will experiment with food crumbs from my own food. So we have to be very careful with unexpected things. A dropped coffee bean after morning coffee.. deadly for finches. A few crumbs from toast are less dangerous, but they find the tiniest stuff. So you need to be aware.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes. They will go back in. If they're new to you, wait a week or so - you want them to know where the food and water are located. Then be sure the cage door is not shut. (Mine fall shut sometimes)

Also, if you have another place you can put food and water they will enjoy flying to it.

It helps if you have a routine, so that like at 7 pm or whatever time they're used to food, t hen bed. That way you don't have to chase them around.

They like their home, it is safe haven.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I use free flight time as bathing time. I place a shallow terracotta dish with water and they love splashing around :) I keep the feed in their home, if you set food around the home that will greatly enrich their lives. So many fun adventures flying around to the exciting spot! Great idea!

I keep food in the cage because I let them out in the morning and I sorta need them to get their butts back to their home :p