• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Babysitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherice

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sherice
Hey everyone, I just want to say first off, you guys have some really great posts lately. I'm bummed I don't know how to post pictures of Loki. You would like him.
Anyway I have a question, I will be leaving town for a few days this coming weekend and than at the end of June for a week. Is it ok to get a babysitter and take Loki there to be watched? It's my grandparents, they are familiar with birds having quite a few themselves in the past. I have no worries that they will take the very best care of my Fid, I just worry about Loki. I guess its a mom thing. We've had him since the end of February and I just don't want him to have any anxiety over the change. I cant change my travel plans so I will do whatever I need to do for Loki's sake. But what do you guys think? Also is beak trimming a regular part of grooming? I see so much about it but I don't feel its an issue, is it just one of those things? Sometimes you need too, sometimes you dont?

Thanks guys your the best! :heart:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi Sherice. I think Loki will be just fine going to your grandparents. Has he met them and spent time with them before? Even if he hasn't, he should be okay. Just make sure he has his favorite toys and treats, Birds are adaptable. Just look at it as Loki's little adventure and try to enjoy yourself while you are gone. Maybe bring him back a special present or treat. One word of warning....when I go away, I usually end up getting nipped by my guys when I return. Just a quick nip, kind of like them telling me they hated that I was gone and that they missed me, but after the nip, they turn into little cuddle monkeys.

I can't help you with the beak trimming. Never had it done, sorry.

Sherice

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sherice
Thanks so much Bridget that makes me feel tons better! I will bring him some pear when I get home to make sure he has a happy welcome home. He hasn't met them before but I was hoping to take him over there in a day or so to just feel it out. I clipped his toe nails today (first time for me ever! huge success!!) so that he wont need anything like that done while I was gone. They've had so many birds I know they know what to do. I'm glad that I don't have to restrict work trips anymore for him. I will miss him for my whole 3 days I'm gone. Wow I feel so much better!

Should I send him in his cage or buy a smaller one to travel in?

feebee

Jogging around the block
Im sure he will be fine! :) and so will you, i have a smaller travel cage for when they are in the car, with 1 or 2 perches not to high as one of my budgies travels well in car, the other freaks out, so depending on how Loki car travels will depend on what you can offer in car :)

if you can easy take his normal cage with you without much hassle then do it, if not get a smaller cage for him, 3 days isnt long at all, and if you have more work trips maybe you could leave a cage at grandparents if he will always go there? (that way you could get a decent sized 'holiday' cage for him, and just have a pet carrier for between houses?)

Sherice

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sherice
Oh thanks so much, thats a great idea, leaving a cage there. I didnt really think of it.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I am currently ordering travel cages for my two conures for this, and I feel I got a really great deal on them. Its the Kings aluminum travel cage, you should check them out! :)

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
If you can afford to get another cage and keep it at your grandparents, that would be awesome. I would try to set it up very similar to the way his home cage is set up, it might make him more comfortable and feel more like 'home'. One of the things I like to do is make up some fun foraging activities for my fids to do when I have to go away. I use coffee filters and put nutriberries in them, twist them into a pouch and tie them in different spots in the cage. I hide favorite seed treats and some plastic bottle caps in small dixie cups or other bird safe things I collect and turn them into foraging toys. I always make extra birdie mash to have on hand while I'm out of town too. Don't stress while your gone, your baby will be fine, and it's great that he'll be meeting new people. It will help him be well socialized.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
beak trimming usually doesn't need to be done, they do a good job at doing that on their own, most people who get it done get the "tip" blunted even though a birds beak is supposed to be sharp - it is how they eat after all! and some people's birds have issues rather its a health problem or a old beak injury that causes it to over grow frequently and they would have to get them trimmed when needed

but for a normal healthy bird with no beak injury usually a beak trim is not needed

as for Your grandparents baby sitting, I would take him over or have them come over if that is feasible and get to know him, I wouldn't just "dump" (i know not the best choice of words) him with New people. usually birds don't like that very well -some take to it fine, others not so well

but I'd let them visit each other a few times before your trips, Let them handle him, let them get him out of the cage etc. So this way you know they're able to (well more so that he will allow them to handle him) It'll make it easier on every one.

Sherice

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sherice
Hey Everyone, Just an update real quick, Loki did great at my grandparents. They really enjoyed him and he liked it there too. Thanks for all your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.