• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

baby, Wont eat solids HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Hey guys. So keep in mind that I do have hand feeding formula here however I'm hoping I wont have to use it. He was fully weaned yesterday and now its like he wants me to regurgitate for him. he's doing the baby thing with his wings spread and his head vibrating.

Baby no name came home yesterday and hasn't really eaten anything solid yet. He eats fruits and veggies fine but he wont go near his food bowl. I checked the bowl for hulls and the cage floor too and found nothing. I think it's wonderful that he eats fruits and veggies but I am very concerned about him not eating seeds or pellets. Not to mention he's mostly eating corn which is not the most healthy veggie out there.

HELP I have no idea how to hand feed.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its very common for babies to revert to wanting to be handfed when they go through a big change (like going to their new home). You may just need to give him a small handfeed to take the edge off his hunger so he will eat better. The wings out and head bobbing sounds like he is in need of a "comfort feeding." Also soft easy to eat foods work great, sometimes you can get them to eat by hand offering it but if he's really hungry he will most likely do better if you give him a handfeeding first. If he is eating veggies I wouldnt worry too much about him not eating seeds and pellets. Is it the same mix he was on before? Depending on the type of pellet, you can soak them and hand offer that too (This doesnt work with all pellets - some just crumble hen wet).

Do you have a thermometer to check the temp of the handfeeding formula if you do handfeed him?

Jadesmom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mary Ann
I had an awful time weaning my conure Bella. At the end, I was giving her small amounts of warm hand feeding formula on a child safe spoon. She got her comfort food, but she had to eat like a big girl. Good luck. Its so nerve wracking when they are little.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Ok is there a thread on how to hand feed? I've seen it done but I dont know about temperature of the food or anything else like that.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Do you have thermometer? I think it's supposed to be no hotter than 105 degrees.

I always mixed it with my finger and served it slightly warmer than body temperature.

Do you know how the breeder fed him? With a spoon or a syringe?

If your feeding with a syringe, just make sure you practice squirting it out a few times before you actually give it to him so you know the speed of the push.

GO SLOW until you get the hang of it, because you don't want to aspirate him.

When I first starting, I just squirted little bits on Truely's tongue or into the bottom of her beak.

It should be the consistancy of thin yogurt.

Ginger

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What formula do you have (and do you have the packaging)? The directions on it are very good. You want to be sure it is mixed thoroughly so it doesnt separate, and that the temperature is right (100-104 is safe).

Here is a instruction sheet for Embrace (ZuPreem). Most all forumulas will have the same instructions on how to mix.
http://www.zupreem.com/sites/zupreem.com/files/EmbraceBrochure.pdf

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Hey guys. I got some formula into him which was wonderful. He didn't take much and he has been eating some of his seeds if I hand them to him. I'm going to give him more fruits and veggies and go out and buy some new pellets that i can soak a bit. thank you so much for all of your help

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so glad he is eating :) Just taking that little bit of an edge of really can do wonders. When Cassius (hawkhead parrot) came home to me he had been weaned for a full month. The trip was tough for him though and he needed small morning and evening handfeedings for the first two weeks. After that he was perfectly happy to take anything offered all on his own. :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My GCC was "weaned" when I got her, but the next day she reverted back to wanting formula, crying for it all the time, and bopping her head - so I had to hand-feed her for the next few weeks until she was completely eating on her own and didn't want formula anymore.

Your baby will start rejecting it when he starts getting into eating veggies and etc. You just need to give him less and less formula then.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
When babies are hungry or scared, they need comfort feedings, even though they 'know' how to eat, they revert to being a baby-baby. Usually most birds overcome it in a few days to a couple weeks, but until then it's important to offer them formula if they start begging for it. To do otherwise just adds more stress and is thought by many to result in behavior issues down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.