• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby wants to bathe... but won't

ConureMom95

Moving in
Real Name
Andi
Hey there! I'm super new to this and I'm a pretty new bird mom. I have two lively conures a green cheek and a gold cap. The green cheek is a bit older and more accustomed to things. He's very adventurous and will try whatever we put in front of him. The gold cap is a bit more timid with things. He takes his time eating treats we give him and usually wont until Gipsy (our green cheek) tries things first. HOWEVER. He refuses to bathe with any method we've tried. I run the sink and Gipsy comes running ready for his bath. Mango (the gold cap) will watch and does the regular bird bath motions (poofing up, shaking his tail spreading his wings) and squawks at the water walking back and forth. Sometimes he'll put his head in and then run away. Ive played with tempatures. Ive tried different bowls or tupperware. I cant use our smaller bird bath because he is much to large for it. Ive tried the bathtub with a small amount of water. Ive tried the kitchen sink (Gipsy's favorite) but poor Mango is just too afraid for whatever I put in front of him even though I can tell he wants to bathe. Sometimes he likes to go in the shower with us but every once in awhile he'll run away from that too. So I'm not sure if anyone has suggestions for maybe larger bird baths we can try or some other way to bathe him. I should also mention he absolutely hates misting.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For my birds, I tend to use pie plates :) I have a quaker that won't bathe unless his tail won't hit the sides, and I have to splash around in it for a bit to encourage him.