• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby to adult. Will they still love me?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I searched for FREE PARROT FOR 3 YRS / I WAS FINALY GIVEN ONE WAS TOLD HE WAS RAISED AND THEY WEANED HIM HE WAS A 20 YR OLD DYH WAS NOT TOLD ANY THING MORE OK WELL HAD HIM ABOUT 4 OR 5 MONTHS AND ONE NIGHT I WAS ATTACKED PINED AND REPEATEDLY ATTACKED FOR ABOT 15 TO 20 MIN , I HAD A SMALL APT I LOVED THIS BIRD I CRYED FOR DAYS BUT NEW I COULDNT KEEP HIM SO I LOOKED ON INTERNET FOR A TRADE EXCHANGE ANY THING BUT PLEASE DONT LEAVE ME WITH OUT A BIRD THEN I SAW AN ADD AMAZON $ 1900.00 I THOUGHT WHAT HAVE I TO LOSE I EMAILED AND GOT A CALL NEXT DAY 3 DAYS LATER I HAD MANGO BUT POOR bOGGIE FOR 2 YRS WAS IN AN AVERY ANGERY I WENT A FEW MONTHS LATER TO SEE HIM HE WAS READY TO KILL ME THEY COULDNR FIND HIM A MATE BUT FOUND A WOMAN BREEDER OF DYH AMAZONS AND SHE BOUGHT HIM HE IS HAPPY A FATHER AND FROM WHAT IM TOLD EASY TO HANDLE

I STILL REGRET LETTING HIM GO EVEN THOUGH KNOWING HES BETTER OFF TODAY BUT I AM SO HAPPY WITH MANGO HE WAS 1 YR OLD NEVER HANDLED NO NAME JUST PASSED HIS FIRST BD
I HAVE SEEN CHANGES BUT AFTER LOL CANT REMEMBER 7 OR 8 YRS I HAVE HAD HIM THINK 8 YRS IN APRIL HES STILL MY BABY BUT LOVES EVERY ONE

IM HOPPING TO LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE HOW HE IS WHEN OLDER WHAT CHANGES HE GOES THROUGH ,,LOL THAT IS MY WISH AND YES I GET ATTACKED WHEN HE DISAPROVES OF ME DOING THINGS LIKE BEING TO SLOW COOKING DINNER OR HAVE BEEN OUT OR GOING OUT ONLY HAVE SEEN 1 HORMONE TIME BUT WAS OUT EVERY DAY THEN AND WHEN I CAME HOME HE WAS HIS OLD SELF LOVABLE HAPPY PLAYFULL GUY TILL MORNING THE WAS KILL MOM,,LOL

I ALSO SEE YOU USE A TOWEL OT BLANKET I COVER MY SELF WITH A TOWEL WHEN I EXPECT AN ATTACK HE FLYS AT ME PASSES ME GOES BACK TO HIS PLAYSTAND OR A TOY THEN COMES BACK WHEN I REMOVE TOWEL AND SITS ON MY SHOULDER LOOKING AT ME AS IF TOSAY WHAT HAPPENED ITS PASSED OVER
I WONT I KNOW LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE HIM REACH 20YRS OR EVEN 15 BUT IM SURE IF HANDLED RIGHT HE WILL AND CAN MACK SOME LUCKY OWNER A GREAT COMPANION , BUT COULD ALSO BE 1 OF THERM BIRDS NO ONE UNDERSTAND AS IM SURE HE WILL NEVER BE BOSSED AROUND I GIVE HIM CHOICES TESPECT JUST BECAUSE HES A BIRG DOSENT GIVE ME RIGHTS TO MAKE HIM COME TO ME UN LESS ITS CAUSE HE HAS TO IS IN DANGER OTHER WISE ITS HID DECISION
I ALSO KNOW MOST DONT BELEAVE IN THIS WAY BUT I DO AND IT WORKS

Mintymarie14

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Montanna
I read in a book the most parrots will prefer females over males

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Lol not always the case Kiwi hates the lady that gave her to me! She ALWAYS bites her lol even with some techniques i saw on animal planet in Dr. K's exotic animals tv program where she says when a parrot wont behave with other people put it on the ground and let the other person pick it up! It worked with my mom and my best friend so far! :lol:

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
At 16, Joey is more affectionate than ever. He sleeps on my shoulder, and kisses me. We had a difficult period during his first hormonal period, but mostly we have gotten along very well.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I also would be interested in how different species are affected.

I have a female GCC, who I visited while she was still being handfed and brought home at 10 weeks. Almost 16 years later, I'm still her favorite person and our bond is very solid. However, the little that is known about Pyrrhuras in the wild suggests that at least some females stay with the family group, while males leave to find mates. So I wonder if male GCC's are more likely to switch their favorite person than females.

My linnie was a rehome although he was only about 4 months old when I got him. He came from a nice breeder and was bought for an ill woman who loved him, but died after having him less than 2 months. He does not appear to have bonded to anyone, even after having him for 2 1/2 years... although linnies are not very demonstrative, so it would be hard to tell. I do wonder if his first owner's death was traumatic for him. He is tame but prefers to be left alone so we don't force interaction on him.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
So far i'm Baylee's favorite person but If a guy comes to MY house she switches automatically and attacks me! traitor! But If its my best friend (girl) Baylee prefers me.
Kiwi is not really bonded to me even tho i raised him, he bonded with Baylee who see him as a son not as a mate! She USED to feed him (like a mom Will to her chicks), Now they are permanently separated to avoid attacks towards me (Kiwi used to get very overprotective with Baylee & bite me hard If i dared to touch Baylee) nów that they are separated and can't see each other Kiwi is much more calmer! Less aggressive towards me! In fact he has progressed a lot!
And Baylee sees ME as her mate LOL LOVE triangle!

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey will be 17 in a few days. I got him when he was four months old. I live alone, so he never had a choice of people to bond with. Our relationship has continued to deepen and grow.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
From all the stories here, it seems each and every bird is different.

It's good that one can come read this thread (and many others on AA) and get an understanding of what may happen as our birds grow up.

I love all the combined knowledge we have here on AA, and that everyone is willing to share and help others.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Great Topic and I so wish more people would educate themselves w/ this deep thinking before getting a bird. They are very unique creatures-their personalities can change in a heart beat and most just don't get that. I have 2 macaw rescues who may never be any better then they are today but I have learned to respect their changes . Yes it very frustrating to have a sweet loving child turn on ya but i have raised teenagers and eventually they come back around but w/ birds since they can't tell us we must educate ourselves on how to deal w/ the changes and many don't-they rehome and I am not saying thats always bad but sometimes the situation can be dealt with if the proper understanding & training is available.

Don't be sorry! :) I've been with them long enough, and have done enough research that I'm not taken by surprise, nor am I broken hearted. I have remained friends with all of them so far, and IMO little problems (such as Sweden's attacks) are just bumps along the road.

My view of the future though keeps changing! Not for the bad, just different than I had envisioned. So far I've enjoyed the wild ride my babies have taken me on, and plan to enjoy the next 17 years just as much.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I so agree Becky-I probably read way more then I comment but I have learned so much from all the awesome peeps here willing to share.
(pssst ...and no drama :) )

From all the stories here, it seems each and every bird is different.

It's good that one can come read this thread (and many others on AA) and get an understanding of what may happen as our birds grow up.

I love all the combined knowledge we have here on AA, and that everyone is willing to share and help others.

Coros

Walking the driveway
Hum, that's a bit worrying, i was considering getting a hand-raised bird sometimes ago but do bird changes their opinion about you after they are weaned ?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hum, that's a bit worrying, i was considering getting a hand-raised bird sometimes ago but do bird changes their opinion about you after they are weaned ?
A just weaned bird is still basically a baby. Not much changes until the bird is a full blown adult with the changes that go with it. So it depends when that particular species of parrot hits full maturity. In a tiny bird it can be less than a year. In a large parrot it can take as long as 7 years and possibly longer for late bloomers.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Remember that birds are still wild animals and still have wild instincts. If you get a bird young enough, you fulfill the role of parent. At puberty, their instincts scream "distance from parents!" Because that's how nature ensures a varied gene pool. Most animals are also programmed to not mate with parents or siblings if possible. So, you have the drive to mate and form a bond coupled with the drive to get away from parents.... So if you are the parent, instinct tells them not to bond with you in a meaningful way.

That's why the whole "buy a baby" thing is flawed.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the likelihood of that may vary depending on species (just my opinion from what I've experienced). I have both hand-raised/hand-fed babies and those I've adopted as adults. Those that bonded to me as babies (they have since become adults) have not wavered at all in their love towards me and don't seem to have any conflict going on.

There are definite benefits to adopting adults, however. You're helping a bird that needs a home plus you already know their adult personality.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I believe that there is a big difference between having a baby bird imprinted to You,or bonded to you. I raised many cockatiels,Quakers, Myers, etc and any that I had to hand feed from day one-were Imprinted to Me(thinking I was their parent)Once they were weaned and went to their forever homes,they Bonded to their new parents(mates) My Gemini came to me at 10 days old-her eyes were not open yet,so she is Imprinted to me,Her and I have a much different relationship then The rest of the Grey's that I started hand feeding at 5/6 weeks old.I have been fortunate that all of My hand raised(by Me) birds still love Me and have not changed at all through the years.It is not uncommon though for a bird to totally dislike their hand raiser later in life:( The one bird that I adopted at the age of 15(Ziggie) has hated Me since the day he came here-over 5 years ago:( They are all individuals after all;)
I hope this makes some sense-so many times I will write up a reply like this and then not post it cause I think its dumb but what the heck:shy::hug8:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe that there is a big difference between having a baby bird imprinted to You,or bonded to you. I raised many cockatiels,Quakers, Myers, etc and any that I had to hand feed from day one-were Imprinted to Me(thinking I was their parent)Once they were weaned and went to their forever homes,they Bonded to their new parents(mates) My Gemini came to me at 10 days old-her eyes were not open yet,so she is Imprinted to me,Her and I have a much different relationship then The rest of the Grey's that I started hand feeding at 5/6 weeks old.I have been fortunate that all of My hand raised(by Me) birds still love Me and have not changed at all through the years.It is not uncommon though for a bird to totally dislike their hand raiser later in life:( The one bird that I adopted at the age of 15(Ziggie) has hated Me since the day he came here-over 5 years ago:( They are all individuals after all;)
I hope this makes some sense-so many times I will write up a reply like this and then not post it cause I think its dumb but what the heck:shy::hug8:
That makes sense. Good point/delineation. Most of us aren't hand-feeding our own babies, you know? Someone else does it, and we just get the baby when he/she is weaned and ready to go home. So the baby bird is not imprinted on us, but bonded to us (especially if we pick a baby that picks us in return).

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Chaos (my macaw that this happened with) was raised by me from 5 weeks. I hand fed him until 8 months. He for sure thought I was mom.

My others not so much, they were both close to weaning, or just weaned when I got them. I've also not had the drama with them when they hit maturity. Changes yes, the huge emotional drama, no.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No need to think your observations and experiences are dumb. I've had experiences very similar to yours. I've raised a few baby amazons from the same pair. One of them was/is perfect a sweet baby and a sweet adult. I still have her. Most of her siblings have weaned and hit kind of a dispersal period. About half continue to like me, but they get hard to live with for a while. A few kind of put up with me but take immediately to their new owners. However, I kept a couple of those bratty and barely put up with me babies and after about 2 years they really calmed down and even accept snuggles from me even though they have a bird friend they play with a lot.

I really think that anyone wanting a bird because they want it to love them is already on the wrong path. You get a bird to love. You don't get a bird to feel loved. If the bird decides it likes you then its great. If the bird decides it likes someone else in the family, you have to be okay with that. If you live alone, chances are the bird will like you because there isn't anyone else. Depending on species and how well socialized the bird was when young will determine how the bird shows its affection for you. Some birds that weren't socialized right as babies or are more standoffish inherently will show affection by making eye contact and doing that friendly greeting stretch that they all do but want to bite you if you try to touch. Others can't get enough of snuggling.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chaos (my macaw that this happened with) was raised by me from 5 weeks. I hand fed him until 8 months. He for sure thought I was mom.
I've read about an awful lot of male green wings that get dangerously temperamental at maturity. Any chance your experience with Chaos is less a matter of being hand-fed by you and more a matter of him being a volatile male green wing? Big male green wings are one of the few species that scare me. Girl green wings I love. The boys, I envision band-aides and splinted fingers.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It could well be. It may have nothing to do with my handfeeding, but who really knows.

He's still temperamental, but not like when he first got super hormonal.

He started masturbating and nesting behavior at the exact same time. That's what causes me to think it's simple maturity.

I've asked him why he's being such a pain.....he just raises those neck feathers, and I back away to try another day. :p