• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby SunConure makes Dolphin noises?!?

Candyroxs

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello Everyone, I have recently bought a three week old baby sun conure, named Mango (three days ago). However, on the second day of bringing him home Mango has been making these weird "dolphin" like noises along with poking his head up and down after he eats, when he wakes up, and randomly throughout the day even when I'm holding him in my hands. I feed him the exact amount and the exact amount of times that the breeder told me to feed him. I'm starting to get worried about this behavior. I do not know if this is a cry for attention, cry for hunger, or cry for help
Thank you all for stopping by and helping me out. I would gladly appreciate anyone's help in this.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Three weeks is really young. Do you have experience with hand feeding? My guess- and it's a guess- is that he's making begging hungry noises. Are you weighing him to make sure he's not losing weight? I think I would contact the breeder and talk to her and see if she would even take the baby back for awhile until he gets a little older. Three weeks, is really, really young. (And welcome to the forum!)

@webchirp ? @Birdbabe ?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I agree with Michelle...so many things can happen at such an early age and handfeeding. A video would help.

MixieMoxie

Meeting neighbors
That is really young to be in the home of a what sounds like first time hand feeding situation. I just bought my GCC this past weekend from a breeder. He only let me have him at 6 weeks because I have hand fed before and I work for an avian vet. Plus my family's circumstances having lost our first GCC to cancer the week before.

Baby birds are like human children not all do well being stuffed into a specific schedule. You have to adjust things to work for them to help them thrive.

I would consult and avian vet or see if the breeder could keep him until weaned.

Vernie

Strolling the yard
Wow what a responsibility. Lilly was 3 months old and
Had been hand fed. Still I had to work at feeding her. I agree with others. If you are not experienced, you best get someone who is. Wishing you and your baby the best. Keep us posted.

Candyroxs

Thank you all for taking time out of your day to reply. After reading your guys' reply, I eventually ended up sending a recording to the breeder. He told me that it is normal, and that "they make that noise when they hear or see people."

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
3 weeks is too young. That baby still needs to be hand fed or parent fed. It will die if it's not eating food on its own. How is it eating?
The breeder is misinforming you if that baby really is only 3 weeks old, that's not a good situation.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Three weeks really is very young for a baby to go to its first home - they benefit from being around their siblings, not to mention the fact that the chance for problems is greater with babies that young.
Did the breeder at least show you how to handfeed?
The bobbing up and down sounds like begging behavior and if he's doing it after a meal, it might mean that he needs a little more food, but some babies will just keep begging; you should go by how full the crop looks rather than a set amount.
How are you feeding the baby? Syringe feeding is often used by experienced handfeeders because it's less messy, but if you are new to handfeeding, then a spoon is usually best. Bend a the sides of a spoon up to match the size of the beak and feed with that and the risk of aspiration (baby choking on formula) is lower.
Other than that, please try to watch some videos on handfeeding and read what you can. It's not hard to do, but easy to make mistakes that can injure or kill a baby.

Candyroxs

The breeder told me to feed him around 9mL three times a day and to make sure the temperature is 100-110F. I use a syringe, I tried bent spoon feeding my first sun conure and it was a mess which is why I tried syringe feeding this time around.