• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Sun conure

MangoKy

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!
today I got a baby sun conure he’s 4 months old (hatched oct 27th) and I’m worried he’s been weaned too early.

He’s been screaming, taking My finger and trying to get me to feed him, and he’s a little underweight.
He’s been eating and drinking but I’m still worried.

Attachments

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What foods are you providing right now? At 4 months, formula isn’t essential but he might still want it. Not all breeders or stores practice abundance weaning unfortunately. I always provide babies this age soft seeds such as millet sprigs, and other soft items like birdy bread in addition to pellets.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
First of all, he's adorable! :xflove: But to address your concern, he may still want formula but doesn't necessarily need it. You can definitely provide him with soft foods in addition to solids to help the transition though.

MangoKy

What foods are you providing right now? At 4 months, formula isn’t essential but he might still want it. Not all breeders or stores practice abundance weaning unfortunately. I always provide babies this age soft seeds such as millet sprigs, and other soft items like birdy bread in addition to pellets.
I’ve been feeding tops parrot pellets and a few fruits and vegetables

MangoKy

First of all, he's adorable! :xflove: But to address your concern, he may still want formula but doesn't necessarily need it. You can definitely provide him with soft foods in addition to solids to help the transition though.
Oh what a relief! Thank you!

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
My GCC is 6 months old now, I've had him since 10 weeks. I also think he was weaned a bit early. Until about a month ago, he would do the baby begging thing about once a day. I tried feeding him a warm mash a few times, but he would take one or two bites and then be done. It was more efficient and immediate to feed him a bit of his regular food out of my hand and this seemed to satisfy him just as well. I think it was the attention and comfort of the hand feeding that he was seeking more than the actual food.