• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby sun conure not pooping

TracyTheAl

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tracy
Hi, i recently got my new sun conure baby about 17 days old. And i noticed that since I got him/her, he is not pooping. I only got him yesterday.i make sure that his Crop is empty before i feed him. Any advice? Thank you.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
How old is he? Has he been drinking any liquids?

TracyTheAl

Real Name
Tracy
@SandraK he is only days old. About 17 days old. I used to feed him Formula from a trusted store here in our place.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
17 days old? Do you know how to feed a baby?... No poop in a day? ..put in clean paper & check it...If he;s eating he needs to poop. Needs to eat...U need a scale to weigh too.
I would get him back to the store as a 17 day old baby is too young. Needs to be very warm for it to digest the food too. Maybe too cold for the chick...Keep the bird this young very warm least 85/90. Does it have feathers? photo

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Check his bum to see if it's blocked, if it is try to clean it and (if possible) use a Qtip with vegetable oil to gently oil his bum. Is his stomach distended (bloated)? Contact his breeder and ask for help/instructions; ask if you can/should give him a drop of vegetable oil to help lubricate his inner workings. Have you handfed a bird that young before?

TracyTheAl

Real Name
Tracy
Yes, he is my 5th baby hand feed bird. I always get them around 2 weeks old from my friend who is a breeder. I have 4 full grown birds bow. But i dont know why he is not pooping. I always maintain the temp to 32°C or about 90°F. I live in a tropical country so temperature is not a problem. Maybe I will monitor him from now on.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yes, he is my 5th baby hand feed bird. I always get them around 2 weeks old from my friend who is a breeder. I have 4 full grown birds bow. But i dont know why he is not pooping. I always maintain the temp to 32°C or about 90°F. I live in a tropical country so temperature is not a problem. Maybe I will monitor him from now on.
Good for you as 90 degrees is even hard for us in CA now & some of us are in deep freeze/// Glad he pooped & you are an experienced baby bird feeder... Good Luck...yes photos would be nice