• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Baby steps: teaching Java to use his foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It didn't occur to me until this video that he doesn't have much range in any of his toes. We'll get there though.
Also, my sister and I swear we saw that back toe move but we aren't sure. He hasn't moved it since I've had him.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:heart::heart::heart: He is adorable

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He was having a grand time and definitely moving that back toe quite a bit. I would keep working all of his toes to help him get the idea and maybe loosen them up and get him used to using them if possible. The house finch we raised got her foot broken by Nerd bird before we realized they weren't safe together and I used to stretch out the damaged toes and she could curl them back up but the tendons tightened up and she just left them in a ball but still got around fine and climbed and walked. His toes are out all the way so maybe working them will help them loosen up and get him moving them again.
YThey would wrap my broken elbow in nice warm damp towels to loosen up the tendons and muscles before my therapy sessions and it felt great and helped everything move easier. I went from about 30 percent range of motion loss to 3 percent when we were done and I hardly notice it. Might be helpful for him if he'll tolerate it as long as it's not too hot and burns him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That back toe does move a bit :laughing12: Gosh he is such a sweetie pie :heart:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
He did move that toe. I would add some massage to those back toes, gentle manipulation bending them.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Gotta love that little face watching those toys intently. So wonderful that he is moving the back toe a bit! You are doing such a great job working with him.

@Dartman ... OWie... I can't imagine a broken elbow. I mean, it hurts so much just knocking the elbow up against something!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
:dance5:You go Java that foot movement is looking good!!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
=
@Dartman ... OWie... I can't imagine a broken elbow. I mean, it hurts so much just knocking the elbow up against something!
Well actually I shattered the radial head in about 3 chunks and the ulna had about 3 cracks in it. They go into the upper arm elbow socket area I think and the two lower bones pivot and twist in that socket area so my range of motion was damaged. I remember when I woke up I was leaning on the broken arms elbow and didn't have a clue it was broken for a day and a half till I told them it hurt a bit to move it and they took a x-ray. If I moved it wrong it reminded me real fast. It took 4 months to get stable and more then likely the radial head pieces never fused together but everything works fine now and usually doesn't bother me. The therapy ladies worked hard with me and that's why my arm is back to almost normal so I know a bit about damaged joints and what can be done. That was in May of 2009 and I do the same work today with no restrictions. I'm sure I've posted more about it here if you want to search for it.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I love seeing how you're working with him. He's a such a sweetie and you're truly a wonderful parront!! :heart:
:hug8:

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Sorry for being a bit disrespectful, but what's wrong with Java?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for being a bit disrespectful, but what's wrong with Java?
No disrespect at all :)
Before I rescued him, he spent his life as an aviary breeder in Florida, having never had human contact. At some point, he was attacked by a raccoon (I don't know if it got into the aviary or reached through the bars) and lost his leg, leaving his remaining leg with severe tendon entrapment, which prevents him from extending it or using his toes fully. He doesn't know how to fly and struggles to walk and perch. He's still untamed, and he never learned to be anything but a breeder, so he doesn't know how to forage, play with toys, or do anything for himself. Because of his handicap, his foot swells and his nails are always overgrown because he can't perch properly, so I've been working on his confidence, flight, and teaching him how to be a bird. We've made progress but we still have a long way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.