• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Baby Speckled Mousebird

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I think that's why I got most of my birds, because most of them have problems and can't go back, so they were all probably kicked out nests or flocks :(

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
It's sad but that is what the Healthy birds do. At least you are there to take care of the ones that can't take care of themselves. And sometimes the birds that were kicked out turn out to grow healthy and strong just like any other bird.
Keep us updated on Twitch! Would love to see a clear full body picture of him!

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thanks @CrystalLeo , he's looking much more lively this morning, I think he's just battling a bit with the cold! :) I will post more pics of him soon. His tail is looking so scruffy, I don't think he knows how long it's gotten, so he hops around and broke two of the smaller 'side' feathers the other day! (hope that makes sense ;)) Its so long now, almost double the length of him :D

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Aww, they're so adorable. :hug8:

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
They both look so cute together :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I had that issue too with Gryphon when he was young, trying to regulate his temp when it was cold. Now that he is older{7} he has no issues with it. But I also make sure it stays warm where he is. Give greens in the evening instead of fruit. This helps see them through the night better than fruit which passes through them quickly.

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Thanks @CrystalLeo , he's looking much more lively this morning, I think he's just battling a bit with the cold! :) I will post more pics of him soon. His tail is looking so scruffy, I don't think he knows how long it's gotten, so he hops around and broke two of the smaller 'side' feathers the other day! (hope that makes sense ;)) Its so long now, almost double the length of him :D
Awwwww that's good! Hahahahaha just hope that he realizes it soon so they can grow out fully and be beautiful again.:joyful:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Twitch has gone lame :( I came through this morning to check on him and grab feeding bowls for breakfast, and as usual, he was excited to see me. I noticed he was trying to move around but kept falling onto his left side, and seemed to be pulling himself along with his beak. I took him out to have a look and he is not using his left leg at all. He is not trying to 'grab' my hand with his foot like he normally does. The little toes are just limp. The joint in the longest toe does seem to be a different colour to the other, I'm really hoping he hasn't broken it. I've got him on some heat for now, and I've mixed some extra vitamins in with some formula and he's eating that very well. He is still perky and active and wants to be with me, so I'm really holding thumbs his leg comes right!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8: :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Hey! He's not much better today, still dragging his leg around :( But he's strong and still perky, if that changes I'll start to really worry! Shame he battles to move around though, often he falls over and I have to right him. I really just want him to get better!

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Shame! Twitch! That's terrible! I hope that it isn't something bad and that it gets better. Maybe it could be something to do with his twitch:(? Something to do with some of the nerves that makes him twitch?

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Shame! Twitch! That's terrible! I hope that it isn't something bad and that it gets better. Maybe it could be something to do with his twitch:(? Something to do with some of the nerves that makes him twitch?
I was also considering that, I just don't know why it would suddenly kick in now? He's struggling to move around, I've been putting his food on a flat plate rather than in his normal bowl otherwise he can't get to it. As for water, I'm using one of those dispensers you get for birds because I can put it much lower than I would be able to with a bowl.

Here's his little foot (please excuse the bad quality, took the pics with my phone). When he tries to move around it drags back so it sticks out behind him, and his 'knee' pokes up under his wing by his back. I've been very gently feeling it and opening the little toes, and he doesn't seem to be in pain, I just really wish I knew exactly what it was??!!
IMG-20140414-00643.jpg
IMG-20140414-00645.jpg

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Hmmmm my gut sais it looks like nerve damage. That's just terrible! Do you have an avian vet close to where you are? Maybe they can help out? Although I know there aren't much Avian Vets around where we are.

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
No avian vet nearby unfortunately, but the more I think about it the more I think its to do with his twitch. Could also just be lame from bumping the leg or something. Got him on Calcibird drops and some calcium supplements, to see if it will help. Worked wonders on the semi-crippled dove I had

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
My little Twitchy isn't showing any signs of improvement yet :( Still perky though, and determined to move around with just one functioning leg! I've moved him into a smaller cage to try and discourage too much movement though, just to let him recover! He always wants to be out with me, so I have a little fuzzy nest for him on my desk and he enjoys sitting there with me :xflove:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
IMG_0526.JPG

Twitchy's lame foot. It doesn't look like any of the toes are hurt, and the leg seems normal too. Perhaps he could have pulled something? (excuse the poop on the toe, we had a little foot bath after taking the pic ;)). He just keeps it folded up like this all day, and I'm not seeing any signs of movement in any of the toes whatsoever