• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Baby Speckled Mousebird

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

CrystalLeo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christi
Shame, it's good that the little guy is doing better. I hope the twitching isn't anything too serious. Let us know what the email says when the reply comes, i'm really curious.
Keep us updated!
Sterkte!!!

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thank you! I haven't had a reply yet unfortunately, but I did get a chance to chat to a few people who are really keen birders last night. They agreed that it probably is something neurological, but obviously not so serious if the little bird is active and eating well. The twitching was probably the reason he was abandoned! He could still come right, but if he does stay like this I don't think it will lower his quality of life :)

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
I agree Amy.
But I guess that just gives us so much more to love. If he is eating great and moving great, then the twitching can become his own personal trait that makes him unique. Hahahaha send him lots of love from this side!
Maybe try using a big old sock, roll it up till you hit the toes, then it makes kind of a nest shape. Hahahaha I did that for Ayla(dog) when she was teething. But i guess it can work just as well for birds. And mousies are small enough

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Hey if you can have a look at the new post "hi. my name is belinda". It's someone else that also has rescued a baby mousebird a few days ago. Maybe you can help.

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
I do have a nest - plastic canary nest, but he does not use it at all. I had one that I raised from very young and she loved sitting in her nest - chee just loves pulling the tissue paper out and scattering it around the cage. :p
How does your older mouser react to Twitch?

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Hey if you can have a look at the new post "hi. my name is belinda". It's someone else that also has rescued a baby mousebird a few days ago. Maybe you can help.
Thanks I've just seen it! :)

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I do have a nest - plastic canary nest, but he does not use it at all. I had one that I raised from very young and she loved sitting in her nest - chee just loves pulling the tissue paper out and scattering it around the cage. :p
How does your older mouser react to Twitch?
I've tried a temporary nest for my older mousie too, but he just prefers to hang off the sides of the cage! (Unless he's sitting on my neck snuggled into me ;))
I've tried introducing the 2 slowly and carefully. Twitch doesn't seem to take much notice! Nimh is interested though, and will nibble on his toes or try to 'bite' his beak, not aggressively though, its more like, "What's this?". :p I'm hoping they will get along well though :)

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I agree Amy.
But I guess that just gives us so much more to love. If he is eating great and moving great, then the twitching can become his own personal trait that makes him unique. Hahahaha send him lots of love from this side!
I'm so in love with this little baby bird! I think even if he wasn't twitching and could go back in the wild I would have great difficulty releasing him ;) :laugh:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
@waterfaller1 @Naomi Do your birds have any kind of 'nest' that they sit in during the day? :)
I used to have a nest, the weaved basket kind. He really didn't fit well in it. I do have some crazy photos of him showing his dislike of the cordless phone while in it. :smuggrin: Now he has a few flat perches that he rests and hangs out on.

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Hows baby Twitch doing?

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
He's doing so well! Very active and just starting to eat fruits :) Still twitching, but it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as before!

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
O my word... that is so cute :xflove: so sad you are so far away, could have done a play date! I wish I could find a friend for little Chee its so sad to be alone :sad5:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
O my word... that is so cute :xflove: so sad you are so far away, could have done a play date! I wish I could find a friend for little Chee its so sad to be alone :sad5:
How awesome would that be?? I've been dying to meet some other mousers and their birdies :( Give Chee a hug from me!

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I'm hoping someone can give me some better advice on weaning, as I don't think I'm doing such a great job :dead: Baby Twitch is happily eating fruits, but doesn't seem interested unless I'm holding it in front of him. If I leave the fruit in front of him, he will eat a bit before hopping over to come ask for formula. I'm still giving him a bit in between fruit feedings, but if I'm in the room, Twitch will climb and hop around the cage frantically, begging for formula, despite there being fruit in the bowl in the cage. I've just started my end-term tests, so I am away from him for a few hours at a time, and I need to know that he is able to feed himself while I'm going. I don't want the little guy to lose weight after we've made so much progress since I got him, but I also don't want to baby him and have him rely on formula all the time!
Any advice??

Quick update: Twitch just had a poop, and it was mostly clear and watery, with very few bits of food. As I said, I am still feeding formula, and out of the fruits I offer him, paw paw is his favourite. Should I be worried about the consistency/content of his poop??

Last edited: