• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Baby Speckled Mousebird

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I thought the Purity was recommended in SA for baby mousebirds? The Kaytee is going to have too high of an iron content. You can also make your own. It should be on Susanne's site.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
For the fruits, smush them up into the formula or squish them up and feed as a puree.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hmm..something neurological going on looks like. Are you near that fellow named sulley who does rescue of mousebirds? Wonder if he might have some ideas. I lean strongly towards the kaytee being really bad for him. Not to mention they have had many recalls and issues. I do not like anything with the name kaytee on it.

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Oh dear, I hadn't heard about any recalls or issues with kaytee... I don't know of anyone called Sulley who works with mousebirds around here. Do you know of a website I could take a look at? I also suspected something neurological, but was hoping it was something else...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
His e-mail or phone number is posted a few times on some of the older mousebird threads. I think the name is wrong...sorel? Let me see if I can find it.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Here are two contacts, sarel was a member from SA who we helped.
Foggy brain... :wacky:

ATTENTION:If you live in South Africa and have found an orphaned mousebird baby and need advice on what to feed, wean and care for it you can contact:
Email: willibi@absamail.co.za
ORPlease call Barry: 0834434913
Fallen Feathers Avian Rehabilitation Centre Gauteng, for help with wild indigenous birds only, in South Africa. all hours.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Buy PURITY baby fruit flavors like banana, butternut, vegetables, apple, pear etc. Buy a DROPPER at a pharmacy. Syringes is difficult with the small openings at the front. Chunks of food does not flow through small holes. It tends to resist downward squeezing pressure. Sometimes the baby bird gets a huge burst of food when food suddenly dislodge from syringes. Not too pleasant.

Mix a banana flavor with 2 other flavors. Mix it well. I add sometimes 100% pure apple juice - a little when butternut or vegetable flavors are used. Always level it out with a banana flavor and not only Vit C stuff. You can add some "Fruit of the Forrest" yoghurt - 1 teaspoon. Mix it all.

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Amy I'm not exactly sure what the twitch looks like, but have found mousebirds will sometimes twitch and jump around crazy, as a result of biting mites! You'll see stripes eaten out out of the fearthers, especially on the tail. Not sure whether this is the little guy's problem but worth a look. Try mixing mashed bananna or paw-paw into your rearing food, to help him except it better.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Good thought Naomi. You can especially see the mites at night I have read. There is a way to kill them if so. Susanne has some excellent photos of what feather mites look like.

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thanks @waterfaller1 , I have sent an e-mail to the address. @Naomi I've checked the baby for anything like your description but all the feathers are looking healthy. I will keep an eye on it though :) Thank you for your advice and tips. Will keep you updated on his condition and if I get a response from that e-mail address

:hug8:

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Okay I saw the video. shame poor fellow, there's a lady in Pta that gives very good advise and I highly recommend her.
Her name is Emsie Wings In Need - Contact Details you can find her contact details on this web site.

But I'll stop with the food you are feeding, and just give mashed fruit, and I always mix in lori nectar - If you need I can give you some to see you through, until you can get some, send me a pvt message and I'll send you my cell no.

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thank you so much @Naomi , that is very kind of you! I have lori nectar available here at the local vet though, so I will pick some up for myself ASAP :) :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Update on the little guy: still no improvement on the 'twitching', but no worse either which I'm taking as a good sign. He is a bit perkier, and is more enthusiastic about eating :) Still waiting to find out if there is anything I can do about the twitching or if it's a neurological issue, as @waterfaller1 suggested

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Glad to hear that, sometimes time will tell, but if he's eating well I would not worry to much, if you are still a bit concerend Emsie is very good with treating birds, and she loves mousies - she'll be the best person to ask, and she gives advise for a living - she use to own a rehab/ hospital for wild birds, give her a ring she really is a lovely person.