• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Baby Speckled Mousebird

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I foster birds, and got a phonecall today regarding a baby mousebird that someone had found. I don't have much experience with mousebirds in particular, as this is only my 2nd rescue, and my first (which I got about 2 weeks ago) is already grown, but I'm quickly learning with some help from others. So far, this little thing is doing well, but the first night is always the toughest, so I'm holding thumbs! IMG-20140227-00332.jpg

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The most important thing is heat, no matter how warm your present temps are. Next thing is what to feed him, give me a few and I will gather a list. Lastly, he must be stimulated after he eats to poop. A Q-tip works well. He looks like he is splaying a bit, I would fashion a "nest shape" to hold him or a small piece of soft plastic covered with safe material, to pull him into a proper position.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It looks like you have him in a basket? He needs something that will contain the heat. Get a hot water bottle or small animal heating pad. He needs the floor temp to be about 85 degrees F surrounding him, but he also needs to be able to get away from it. He should be weighed daily using a gram scale. NO WATER IS TO BE ADMINISTERED. They get enough from the fruit they eat.

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
He's a cutie :xflove: if you need any extra help or advise just ask! I normally like to feed Avi-Plus Lorikeet Nectar , if they to little to eat mashed fruit you can mix with a fruit purity.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Good fruits to start
banana
berries like blueberry, blackberry
papaya
grapes
Naomi is very helpful because the foods like the Purity are not what we use here in the states, and what we would use is not available there.
Wishing you the best with him :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He is adorable. Good luck with the little cutie. :)

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
The little chap is still holding on this morning, and looking a bit stronger! :dancing: He was climbing around his cage a bit earlier. One night down on the road to recovery! Thanks all for your advice and help on food, warmth etc! Much appreciated! :xflove:

(the little guy is chirping away, probably trying to copy my 'big' mousebird who's very talkative this morning)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:highfive: :highfive:

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Awww that is sooo cool! Do you have pics of the little guy?

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Aah he's so cute, I've never seen a baby speckled, I've only had Red faced babies and I have a young adult Speckle but I didn't raise him :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am glad he is doing well. :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Update on the little guy: still doing well, goes just about everywhere with mom ;) Unfortunately, I noticed when I got him that he has a 'twitch'. If hes disturbed, such as woken up for a meal etc, his little body twitches, sometimes he'll chirp along with the noises, sometimes not (not in the "expecting food" kind of way, shaking wings, mouth open etc). I was hoping when I got him that I could put it down to being hungry or dehydrated, but its been 3 days now and no improvement. If he sits quietly and falls asleep it'll gradually stop. I'm hoping someone who has raised mousebirds before will be able to help me figure out what it is?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Let's see if we can perhaps get @srtiels to reply. She has raised many mousebird babies. Maybe there is a lack of something in what you are feeding? Can you post everything you are using in his formula? I hope he will be ok. :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I'm using Kaytee Exact formula, which is the best available here for birds. I also add in a small amount of recovery food which is high in protein and helps them to gain strength. I have been offering bits of fruit, but the little chap isn't responding. At first I thought the people who found him (they had him a whole night before they could get him to the vet) had tried to give him water and caused aspiration, because he was making slight sneezing/coughing sounds. He also had a bit of fluid coming out his nostrils, but that has cleared up. He's strong otherwise, but just spends a lot of the time sleeping. I've taken a short clip of him 'twitching', but I'm not too sure how to post it!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Upload the video to youtube, then copy and past the URL here. ;)