• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby scarlet macaw regurgitating

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
Hi, I have a baby scarlet macaw about 5months old and lately she has been doing this weird regurgitating motion she does it when I go to pick her up or when I’m playing with her and touch mouth it’s very strange, she’s still being handfed 3x a day. I was wondering if this is normal behavior?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My boy did that for me and every toy he loved..... even sometimes did it for his favourite foods lmao. As far as I am aware it is fine, natural, to be expected from a happy healthy bird and is only cause for concern if it’s done an awful lot.
Burt practiced and practiced and then looked soooo shocked the first time he got food out lol. After that he would feed everything.
I try not to encourage him to feed me which he still goes through obsessive faxes of doing. I just try to distract him to do something else if I can’t instantly put him down or pretend I can’t even notice it. It’s not something you want to encourage but it is a natural behaviour.

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
Or... I'll be the yucky one...

It could be a sign of a fungal infection. Has your sweetie seen a vet yet?
I did take her to the vet about 3 weeks ago and everything came out normal, I will be keeping an eye out for this tho, what other signs should I look out for?
I should mention that she sneezes at least everyday, just a couple times a day,(no strange discharge) i was told this is normal but now I’m kinda worried.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Keep a close eye on when she does it. Make sure that the formula she brings up does not smell sour. Keep a good eye on her weight in the morning. Check to make sure her poop is normal for her and that it does not smell.

Babies pick up everything when they are small. Keep all your feeding utensils very clean and her area very clean. Do we get cute pictures?

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
Will do, Thank you!! I’ve attached some pics of my baby (originally Jasper but then we found she’s a girl) now we just call her jaz, she’s a sweetheart

Attachments

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
Update: So she’s started to actually regurgite her food. Im worried about this. She doesn’t regurgitate all of it but she does throw up some. No bad smell, but she does it every feeding. I’m feeding her 60cc 3x a day, sometimes 4xday. Because I’m worried about her weight, I just got my scale today so I haven’t kept weight log but I can tell she’s dropping weight. I’m going to weigh her in the morning, she weighed 830grams (had to weigh after feeding), last I took her to the vet she was 943. She’s about 6 months old, starting to fly, she eats some solid foods but she’s not completely weaned. Is this normal , or should I be worried?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They loose some weight to fledge. I have no idea how much would be normal though. @Macawnutz might be able to help you more with that sort of information

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Years ago when I brought my female amazon home she was on one feeding a day. I bought her from a breeder and visited her home to watch some of the feedings. I did she her regurgitate some of the formula right after the feeding when she was placed back in her container and asked about it. The breeder said she probably overfed her. Take note though... this person had suffered 3 brain aneurysms 2-3 months before and did have some cognitive issues. That said, Lola continued to have some regurgitation/vomit after I brought her home. I knew it wasn't normal and took her to the vet along with a culture swab I had gotten prior to the appointment to collect a fresh sample of the formula she vomited. She had a pseudomonas bacteria and was put on antibiotics. It all cleared up with no further issues. I think she got this bacteria from the kitchen sink area where she fed her babies as I did witness her wash shrimp in the sink on one visit. I don't recall a foul smell from the vomit. I thought it was worth a mention. To ease your mind you may want to have some of her regurgitation/vomit cultured to rule out any fungus or bacteria.

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
Years ago when I brought my female amazon home she was on one feeding a day. I bought her from a breeder and visited her home to watch some of the feedings. I did she her regurgitate some of the formula right after the feeding when she was placed back in her container and asked about it. The breeder said she probably overfed her. Take note though... this person had suffered 3 brain aneurysms 2-3 months before and did have some cognitive issues. That said, Lola continued to have some regurgitation/vomit after I brought her home. I knew it wasn't normal and took her to the vet along with a culture swab I had gotten prior to the appointment to collect a fresh sample of the formula she vomited. She had a pseudomonas bacteria and was put on antibiotics. It all cleared up with no further issues. I think she got this bacteria from the kitchen sink area where she fed her babies as I did witness her wash shrimp in the sink on one visit. I don't recall a foul smell from the vomit. I thought it was worth a mention. To ease your mind you may want to have some of her regurgitation/vomit cultured to rule out any fungus or bacteria.
Yeah I’m getting worried, I made an appointment for her the closest thing they had was next Wednesday. I’m keeping an eye on her because she seems normal but if there’s any slight changes I’ll just bring her in on emergency. Hopefully everything is okay tho, I’ll keep you updated

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I will pull out my reference book and take a picture to show you the normal ranges in weight for her age. I have to wait for my flock to get up though... It's still quiet up there and I'm not messing with that. LOL

Good on the vet appointment though. They will proabably do a gram stain and wet mount.

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
I will pull out my reference book and take a picture to show you the normal ranges in weight for her age. I have to wait for my flock to get up though... It's still quiet up there and I'm not messing with that. LOL

Good on the vet appointment though. They will proabably do a gram stain and wet mount.
I actually went in this morning because I was worried sick. Hopefully everything is okay, will keep you updated

chcunanan

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Christian Alex Cunanan
Hello. May I know what happened here? Thank you.