• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Baby Red-winged Starlings

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I was contacted a little while ago about a pair of Red-winged Starlings that had fallen out the nest. Many people consider them to be a pest here, because they can get quite aggressive when breeding, but I'm so glad they were rescued, because I believe every bird deserves to live!

IMG-20140207-00237.jpg
The babies on the day I got them

IMG-20140210-00244.jpg
It wasn't long before they knew who mum was

IMG-20140218-00289.jpg
Perching nicely now, after just having learnt to fly (which they mastered in a matter of hours)

IMG-20140218-00286.jpg
"Yep, I can use this too!"

IMG_9575.JPG
All grown up now (Still looking a bit scruffy though...) and ready to leave the nest. I had the 2 little things for only 2 weeks, and couldn't believe how quickly they grew and became independent. They were moved into an aviary to gain proper flight strength as well as how to interact with other birds, and will be released in the next few days :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for helping them.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
very cute..thanks for helping them!

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
They are lovely!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh my golly look at those mouths!! :heart: :heart: How did the release go? You are wonderful to give them a chance at a normal life. :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
@waterfaller1 They haven't been released yet, I had my facts mixed up! They are still in the aviary, and are completely wild now! They can't be released until they have had another molt, and if I'm right they can't be released in winter either so they might only go in Spring :) but I went to see them and they didn't recognise me at all and were just like wild birds! I think they are going to do really well when they are finally released :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is great to hear. It is the best way when dealing with wild birds, not to imprint too much on them. It is dangerous for their wellbeing and future. I look forward to an update..and pics of the release? :D

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I will try to get pics!! I know the lady they are with said I wasn't allowed to get too close the last time I went because during the first few days they were in the aviary they shouted at anyone who came past for food, even though when they were with me they were eating fine on their own! ;)