• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Quaker 4 weeks old

Birdlife22

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amy Badeaux
Question so this is not my first baby I raised but that being said it’s been up to years. Question for you on how the pictures like he seems to be eating really good I got him on Sunday. I feed him 8 AM, 4 pm and 9 pm. Should I be feeding more often? Also have him in a tiny cage with a towel and a heat pad on top. At what temperature should it be inside for him? FYI I keep my house set up around 75 to 76. He DOB is July 31. Thank you for the help.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Welcome to you and your little baby.
I worry about heating pads. I'm a huge fan of the sweeter heater as found on Amazon. Its a radiant heat panel not a light. The smallest size is more than enough , its an investment at around 100 bucks. But I've used one for 20 years , its a life saver for sick or injured burds! Great for cold and drafty homes, used by mine after a bath to sit and warm up even tho I'm now in Florida.

Keeping your baby at tge right temp, and maintaining the formula temp during the entire feeding process very important. Have a candy thermometer.
Use a digital kitchen scale and log weights daily. Weigh in morning after first poop.
Any changes in a baby seek immediate veterinarian care, as crop infection is a common complications. Be it yeast or bacteria overgrowth. Caught and treated early quick recovery, not gotten to a vet quickly babies die.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

I got him on Sunday. I feed him 8 AM, 4 pm and 9 pm. Should I be feeding more often?
He should be on the cycle he was on before you brought him home. So whatever the breeder was doing, you should copy that for now.
He should be eating at least 10% of his body weight (weighed on an empty crop) at each feeding but can be fed 15%. So if he´s (example) 60g on empty crop, then feed 6-9CC formula - the same formula he was eating before.

Keep as much the same as you can, a lot of changes already for this little guy and you don´t want to spook him too much as it´s already a confusing and frightening time, it´s important he can recognise his food.

Having the brooder a little warmer wouldn´t be a bad thing. 75 is quite low, more for a bird just about to leave the brooder. If the brooder is too cold, it can cause slow crop. If it is too hot it can cause dehydration. Fluctuation in temperature can also cause slow crop, so a critter carrier is a better option over a travel cage (heat escapes the cage unevenly creating fluctuations in temperature and humidity).
60-65% humidity. You can create humidity by putting some moist kitchen paper on a plate in the corner away from the chick. Monitor with a hygrometer.