• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby pigeons?

Gav

Strolling the yard
Does anyone know a nice place to get young handraised pigeons? There is someone who keeps giving pigeons to one of the pet stores in this area, but I don't want to support this particular business any longer and they are never socialized.

I have two rescue pigeons currently and it's hard to socialize with them because they've bonded to each other. One of them was clearly a wild pigeon, so trying to win it over is nearly impossible and its fear sometimes gets the other one worked up as well. I'd like a couple pigeons who are familiar with people that I can train and bond with like the old fantail I used to have.

I live in the Kitsap County area of Washington. I'd love to raise them from eggs, but I don't have the free time for hand feeding, so freshly weened would be great.

Any breed of pigeon would be fine, I love them all~

Gav

Strolling the yard
I've done some thinking and honestly I'd love a pigeon so much, I think weaning would be a great opportunity for bonding. I have an incubator, so if anyone has any good places they know where I can order a few eggs that'd also be wonderful~ If need be, I can always have a friend stop by while I'm at work to give them their midday feeding.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I hope you find one somewhere! I have looked around for pigeon breeders in my area and found none, hopefully different for you.

I would love to have a pigeon or dove in the future, especially Old German Owl pigeons, I love their pattern.

Reactions: Ali

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You should check out Palomacy - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Palomacy/. Palomacy are not breeders - they're a rescue, fostering & adoption site for pigeons & doves. Rather like AA most members have pigeons of their own and will give advice or recommend people who can help or rescue birds. Consider fostering a pigeon. There seem to be alot of "lost" pigeons. specially the racing/homing ones; if they don't make it "home" the breeders don't care about them and will cull them if returned because they are considered "useless" and are just an expense, specially since racing has prize purses.

Just a thought. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
BTW I fostered a "lost" homing/racing pigeon from last Sept. until this this July which is how I know a little about the racing/homing pigeon situation. Pidge as we called him was banded, I tracked down his owner and the racing association he was with and nobody was interested or cared. Pidge was rescued from the middle of the road in Daytona, FL, and came to me because the girl who was caring for him had cats. He wasn't hand tame, but he was a beautiful big bird. I think I had a thread about him here. In any case, he went to a family that have a small property (5 acre farm w/critters really) in Jacksonville, FL. They had a recently widowed pigeon and were looking for a companion for her (Marie). We met at a public place and they got to see him before taking him home; they liked how he looked and we all thought he was a boy. That was confirmed by Jamie, his new mom, when she'd placed him in the pigeon cote (with a divider) and he immediately started cooing @ Marie and trying to approach in spite of the divider. A week later they were no longer separated and living together.

Jamie sent me photos of Marie & Prince and I'm really happy for him. When he was here it broke my heart to see him sitting on a window perch all day looking outside. Now he's got a mate to keep him companion.

Gav

Strolling the yard
You should check out Palomacy - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Palomacy/. Palomacy are not breeders - they're a rescue, fostering & adoption site for pigeons & doves. Rather like AA most members have pigeons of their own and will give advice or recommend people who can help or rescue birds. Consider fostering a pigeon. There seem to be alot of "lost" pigeons. specially the racing/homing ones; if they don't make it "home" the breeders don't care about them and will cull them if returned because they are considered "useless" and are just an expense, specially since racing has prize purses.

Just a thought. :)
It makes me extremely sad to know how people can just toss their birds out or kill them. The rescue I got two of my pigeons from believe that one was released intentionally for some silly ceremony. I'd love to bond with her but she's very attached to the wild one with a broken wing, and it wouldn't be fair to separate them for my own desire to have a bird companion. I'm keeping my eyes open for another rescue that I could potentially bond with, but the pigeons that have come through lately were fit for release and didn't need a home.

Edit: Oh, and thank you for the link~ They have a couple babies that would be absolutely perfect and they need a home but they're down in California :crycry:

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It makes me extremely sad to know how people can just toss their birds out or kill them. The rescue I got two of my pigeons from believe that one was released intentionally for some silly ceremony. I'd love to bond with her but she's very attached to the wild one with a broken wing, and it wouldn't be fair to separate them for my own desire to have a bird companion. I'm keeping my eyes open for another rescue that I could potentially bond with, but the pigeons that have come through lately were fit for release and didn't need a home.

Edit: Oh, and thank you for the link~ They have a couple babies that would be absolutely perfect and they need a home but they're down in California :crycry:
Consider a road trip or see if there's a way to caravan them up to you. I know they recently found a lost pigeon in either ND or SD and had found his owner. His owner is a monk, and lives a fair distance from where the pidge was found so they were asking if anyone was heading in that direction & could give the pidge a ride home. Palomacy has always seemed friendly and helpful as far as I've been dealing with them.

Gav

Strolling the yard
Consider a road trip or see if there's a way to caravan them up to you. I know they recently found a lost pigeon in either ND or SD and had found his owner. His owner is a monk, and lives a fair distance from where the pidge was found so they were asking if anyone was heading in that direction & could give the pidge a ride home. Palomacy has always seemed friendly and helpful as far as I've been dealing with them.
I definitely considered that, but I was concerned about so much traveling for such a young baby. He both sadly and happily got a new home without all the travel~ I'm watching the group like a hawk in case any other babies or just irresistible rescues pop up that are in my area.