• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby pigeon w/ Special needs

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Hi all. I’ve got a 3.5 week old pigeon rescue who will remain a special needs indoor pigeon. She’s under great avian vet care and has a follow up on Tuesday. “The radiograph showed folding fractures of the left radius and ulna, no fractures of the legs, the bones looked normal for her age, congenital tendon abnormalities suspected.” My questions are:
1. Should I supplement with calcium in addition to the Harrison’s organic high potency fine pellets (has vitamins) seeds, corn and peas she is getting fed now?

2. How should her legs be “folded” under her when she’s laying down? One tends to splay all the way back. They’re taped together but a little loose now.

3. She likes to lay vertical on me —is that bad for her development?

Attachments

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I really don't know enough to advise on fixing splayed legs, but I personally wouldn't want her stretching it back like that. Shouldn't the splint keep her from being able to do that? You can see how these dove babies have their legs:
1650142356335.png
The one on the left is plopped more but his legs are still under him the same way. Also pretty sure these two are younger than Bella. I have more baby pictures if you want for reference. I'm guessing her development has been slowed because of her rough start?
What do you mean by "lie vertical on me"?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I really don't know enough to advise on fixing splayed legs, but I personally wouldn't want her stretching it back like that. Shouldn't the splint keep her from being able to do that? You can see how these dove babies have their legs:
View attachment 406063
The one on the left is plopped more but his legs are still under him the same way. Also pretty sure these two are younger than Bella. I have more baby pictures if you want for reference. I'm guessing her development has been slowed because of her rough start?
What do you mean by "lie vertical on me"?
Thank you! The original wooden splint was replaced by vet tape last Friday and came off today so I took a picture before doing my best to retape her (using bandaids per instructions on a pigeon forum) until Tuesday.
“Lie vertical” meaning that she likes to be on my chest near the crook of my neck but that means she is not laying flat in a weight bearing fashion but rather is being held up by being tucked in to my shirt.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you! The original wooden splint was replaced by vet tape last Friday and came off today so I took a picture before doing my best to retape her (using bandaids per instructions on a pigeon forum) until Tuesday.
“Lie vertical” meaning that she likes to be on my chest near the crook of my neck but that means she is not laying flat in a weight bearing fashion but rather is being held up by being tucked in to my shirt.
Sounds good. As long as she's not off balance and her legs are underneath her/at a somewhat normal angle it should be fine. Enjoy the baby cuddles. ;) :xflove: