• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby pigeon abandoned

Ahmad Abba

Moving in
Real Name
Ahmad Abbas
(Sorry for bad english) I have a fancy breeder pair of pigeons.. they recent have two baby and they are feeing only one..he is now 1 or 1.5 weeks old.i am hand feeding him soaked millet and corn and pulses..now its 3rd day of handfeeing..he is skinny and cant stand by his own legs.he digest his food after 12 hours or 10 hours..i feed him after his crop is emty and some times he breathe with open mouth igive him water but this doesnt work. other baby is healthy and strong.plzz help.no vet near me

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Ahmed,
I have moved your thread here to Softbill Circle for better visibility amongst pigeon owners.
Unfortunately we are not vets, and ideally that is what your bird needs.
Is there a zoo or pet shop near you? Could you call them and ask who their vet is? Maybe ask the person you got your birds from? A very experienced pigeon breeder may also be able to help you if you can find someone.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara is correct. Reach out to the pet shop..or a pigeon person near you, if you have that..You need to keep him warm' and hydrated.cold babies dont digest food well....can you at least feed him some pureed cooked oatmeal and millet mixed with cooked cooled quinoa? To much corn can cause yeast problems in the crop..Or baby food..such as Gerber brand.. If you have that available? Gerber brand are human grade baby foods.. good for a pinch...Mixed vegetables , fruit blend or at least Gerber cereal? Can you get Kaytee baby bird formula? That will work also..feed him off a spoon, if the parents aren't feeding him..then they're could be an issue.." they know"..he looks stunted..but that doesn't mean anything! He may be slow..but he can grow!

Ahmad Abba

Moving in
Real Name
Ahmad Abbas
@Zara is correct. Reach out to the pet shop..or a pigeon person near you, if you have that..You need to keep him warm' and hydrated.cold babies dont digest food well....can you at least feed him some pureed cooked oatmeal and millet mixed with cooked cooled quinoa? To much corn can cause yeast problems in the crop..Or baby food..such as Gerber brand.. If you have that available? Gerber brand are human grade baby foods.. good for a pinch...Mixed vegetables , fruit blend or at least Gerber cereal? Can you get Kaytee baby bird formula? That will work also..feed him off a spoon, if the parents aren't feeding him..then they're could be an issue.." they know"..he looks stunted..but that doesn't mean anything! He may be slow..but he can grow!
I am feeding him soaked millet (soaked for 10 hours) he digest it but takes to much time he takes 12 hours to completly empty his crop..i have shifted him under another pair who recently laid eggs he is under them from 1 day but unfortunately they are not feeding him.i contacted one of the breeder he told me to feed him applesauce..but i think its not working.I looked inside his mouth for canker or any kind of yellowish thing but found nothing.His poops are also fine.only problem is his digesting time,breathe rate and his dry skin. (sorry for bad English) Thanku for the reply..

Attachments

Ahmad Abba

Moving in
Real Name
Ahmad Abbas
Hello Ahmed,
I have moved your thread here to Softbill Circle for better visibility amongst pigeon owners.
Unfortunately we are not vets, and ideally that is what your bird needs.
Is there a zoo or pet shop near you? Could you call them and ask who their vet is? Maybe ask the person you got your birds from? A very experienced pigeon breeder may also be able to help you if you can find someone.
I have contacted one of the breeder he told me to feed him 1/2 teaspoon of applesauce..but i think its not working. I have also used some drops of ACV but i didn't worked.Thanku for the reply

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Birdbabe @Sodapop&Co. Do you think natural unsweetened coconut water mixed into the food will help the dry skin? Do either of you know of the papayacream method can be used effectively on softbills?
@Laurie

Ahmad Abba

Moving in
Real Name
Ahmad Abbas
And also i mentioned that he is breathing fast while his beak is open.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Birdbabe @Sodapop&Co. Do you think natural unsweetened coconut water mixed into the food will help the dry skin? Do either of you know of the papayacream method can be used effectively on softbills?
@Laurie
I do not know, sorry.

Maybe baby would do well with different feed? I don't know whether or not seeds (even soaked) are enough/right for a baby this age. Have you fed this diet successfully before? Maybe he's not getting enough moisture in his feed, and the seeds might be too hard for him to digest. I used to feed chicken chick starter crumble (unmedicated!!) mixed with and soaked in water. Babies always grew really well with that. You can do it by feel to get the right consistency; young age will need it pretty runny.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Actually, his skin dosent look bad to me..you could use the chicken crumble as @Sodapop&Co. suggested..if hes open mouth breathing he may too warm. Can you get him into a container with a heating pad set on low..on one side only so he has the choice to move back and forth from the heat?
The applesauce and ACV would help with the slow crop..but it would take a few days. I hope you can figure this out..sure is a cutie! Were trying the best we know to help you..maybe try pigeon forums? Another Avenue for you..keep us updated and let us know if we can be of any more help.

Ahmad Abba

Moving in
Real Name
Ahmad Abbas
I fed him this morning..and there are still grains in his crop..i am scared of losing him. I ordered kaytee feed.tell me that kaytee feed can be digested easily? He is pooping but its more watery and little hard because i gave him water to digest the grains.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I fed him this morning..and there are still grains in his crop..i am scared of losing him. I ordered kaytee feed.tell me that kaytee feed can be digested easily? He is pooping but its more watery and little hard because i gave him water to digest the grains.
Kaytee is easily digested.. it's a good product.. Make sure to follow the instructions on the bag..or canister but you can thin it down by a tablespoon or so of water..just to keep baby hydrated. Good fortune coming to you! Let us know.. :hug8: