• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby parrotlet aspirated, can they survive it?

joeyd

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Joey
I got a baby parrotlet that I loved about 2 weeks ago. But when I brought it home (8 weeks old) it wasn't eating at my house even though it was weaned off at the breeders. It lost weight the 2nd day at my house so I weaned the bird.
I've weaned birds before but unfortunately I may have done this a bit wrong as the bird started aspirating a bit later. I dropped him back off at the breeders that day and its been about 1 1/2 weeks now and the breeder said the bird is still aspirating.

At this point will the baby most likely die or can small birds like parrotlets like this make a full recovery?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
From my understanding they often do not survive being aspirated but I believe that also depends on how badly they were aspirated....... did your bird get taken to an AV or just back to the breeder?

How do you mean you weaned this bird at your house on the second day?

joeyd

Real Name
Joey
Just back to the breeder. It's been a bit crazy with the breeders life right now so I should be getting more information this weekend. I want to say she didn't take it to the vet but I could be wrong.

The baby was already weaned off by the time I got it but I was given some formula just in case. So I had the baby for 3 days & the entire time it didn't eat any solid foods. By the 2nd day the baby was losing a lot of energy and by night I started to wean it myself with formula since it wasn't eating solid foods. 3rd day he was still not eating food and I weaned him in the morning. After that weaning he started aspirating. Called up the breeder and brought him back immediately.

When the bird got back to the breeders house it started eating again. So I'm not sure if it was some type of regressive weaning the baby was going through. But I was hoping after almost 2 weeks of being there and eating food he may have been back to normal.

So just curious if they will die within this time frame or even if the bird gets to the vet it's basically going to die sooner or later from this ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You mean you have hand fed the bird..... weaning is what the bird naturally does as it grows up and learns independence- weaning is where the baby starts to eat on its own and refuse the handfeeds.

I do not know if the baby will die or survive the incident. Once they aspirate I do not believe there is any way to get the food/liquid back out so infection is often a problem if they do not drown. Hopefully some of the others with more medical knowledge will be along soon to give their opinions.

Reactions: tka

joeyd

Real Name
Joey
Sorry I meant to say that I handfed the bird with the formula.

That’s what I was worrying about with infection and if they can’t get the food back out how can they even get better. This all sucks since the bird was incredible.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I handfed the bird with the formula
Which method?
It´s always recommended that a novice use a spoon as it is difficult to aspirate a chick while giving formula on a spoon.

This is hard to even comment on. We don´t know the breeder nor their medical knowledge. Maybe they were able to save it, Maybe they took it to the vet... lots of maybes, but I do hope they were experienced enough to save the little one.

I do hope there is a positive outcome to this.

Reactions: tka

joeyd

Real Name
Joey
Spoon, but I wonder if I did end up liquifying it a bit too much the 3rd day since he wasn't taking anything. I just read that making the formula too watery could also cause the problem :(

But I also wonder as to why he didn't want to eat solid foods at all. Was it just regressive weaning or an underlying sickness.. He didn't eat any millet or seeds. Like nothing, not one bit.

By the time I started giving him formula he dropped down to 18grams, from the 21 he was when I picked him up.