• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby parrot flying

Quacker_2

Checking out the neighborhood
I recently bought a baby quacker parrot. He is four months old. I have concerns regarding him flying. He wants to fly, but I'm afraid he'll get hurt. He already flew a little too high, tried to grab onto a picture frame but fell. Any advice on how help him learn?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When you learn to ride a bike you are going to fall off a number of times and even skin your knee. But you keep getting back on that thing until you can ride well and don't fall off anymore. The trick here is to learn on a surface that is not going to crack your skull open (concrete) if you do fall and learn on the grass.

This situation is no different. The important thing is for "you" to provide an environment that is safe to learn in. Remove hazards. Cover/disguise windows. Provide landing stations (consistent targets to land on).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My son fell a lot learning to walk too. ;) Give him ample chances to try. Cover windows and mirrors, and if there are things he can fall behind that aren't easy to retrieve him from, you can try to block access to those. A bigger room is better to start IMO because it gives them more room to adjust their trajectory. Make lots of perching places!

Quacker_2

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for your responses, I guess I'm a little worried. I will make these adjustments for him, I just wasn't sure . He's been flapping his wings like crazy in cage.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Baby birds learning to fly are always scary! You adjust and before you know it, you wonder what you were worried about! Good luck and you will be amazed at his skills as he gets better at it!:heart: