• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby oil and minty stuff in his face.

Hawk eye

Moving in
I bought some mite spray for my bare eyed cockatoo. I accidentally sprayed him in the face. So I immediately grabbed what i thought was his water sprayer. It had what I believe was baby oil and mouthwash. I sprayed it on him 2 times before i smelt it I immediately grabbed his water sprayer and soaked him with it. He was talking to me and such. He isn't very friendly so I can't scrub him or wash him with soaps or anything. Pleas help he was my grandpas bird he's 25 or so now. I don't know what to do. Will he die?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@enigma731 @Mockinbirdiva

I am thinking it is probably going to be best taking him in for a vet check after lots of flushing but in the mean time I am tagging some members who can hopefully help

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Can you take a picture of the mite spray ingredients? Or write them down here. Are you sure about the baby oil/ mouthwash spray? I would be concerned about the bird ingesting any from preening his feathers if there is any residual left, at best, call an emergency vet and explain the situation and see what they have to say about it... and be sure to have the list of ingredients ready to let them know what's in both sprays. Were you concerned this bird has mites? I'm curious about the baby oil / mouthwash spray.... what is that used for?

Hawk eye

Moving in
The mouthwash, baby oil is to spray are my padio for nats and flies the bottle was next to his water sprayer. He eats still and talks to me and seems ok. I was just so worried last night I could hardly sleep. He has been in my family for 20 years. He will let me gold him and such but he doesn't like to be pet or washed and hates the shower. Thats why we have the water bottle sprayer.

Attachments

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Did the vet tell you to use the mite spray? How do you know he has mites?

Is the pic of him above from this morning or another time?

How are his eyes and feathers looking this morning. (Or whatever time it is for you now, Lol it’s morning for me)

Hawk eye

Moving in
No a vet didn't. He was itching and picking himself a lot so I google what would make him do it. Google gave me steps to check for mites and pictures. So I went to the little pet store in my home town. They raise hand fed parrots and other birds. I asked them what yhey use on there birds and how often and such. They are the ones who told me they always use that spay.

Yes the picture is of him this afternoon. He was eating when I snapped the picture. He talks to me and his eyes seem fine. He played with his toys and the little bottle I play with him with. I took the picture close so as to see what his face and eyes looked like. He's kinda camera shy. Lol his feathers look hood and cleaner then they where since a soaked him so much last night. Normally I don't drench him. I spay him with the water when he tells me he wants a bath and he will let me know when he is done. Lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So you actually observed mites on him?
We need to be extra careful with what the pet stores are willing to sell and advise- I don’t mean to sound rude but asking them anything important is like taking medical advice from the Drs receptionist. Pet stores can and will advise things that qualified vets will say to definitely avoid or only do under vet advice.

I hope your beautiful guy is feeling much better and has no long lasting issues.

Please be extra cautious and only get your medications etc at the advice of vet not a pet store. I’d hate for you to be given bad advice (I once was and after following pet store employee advice I sadly blinded my kids pet mouse. I still feel awful about that and I raced him straight to the vet after I realised the advice I had was terribly poor) and have your bird suffer because if it.

Hawk eye

Moving in
I agree and I wouldn't take advice from most pet stores but this one I have none the ladies for 10+ years and its a very small pet store. They truly care for the animals in the store and the people who come in with their animals. Thank you so much for your advice and help. I will be super careful with him and I normally don't use pesticides or medicines on any of my animals. I like natural remedies. But yes he has mites and was so itchy and I didn't want my other birds to get them as well. Also he doesn't do the vet well. When I got him 2 years ago from my grandpa. I took him to the vet for a nail trim because he had giant nails and my grandpa had bad health for a while so he got neglected. So after our vet visit he didn't eat for almost a week and stayed in the corner of his cage. Which that week I would sit and talk with him trying to gain his trust back. So I didn't want him to go through that again.

No body else in my family could get close to him or he would attack and bite them. So I took him in. He's just a grumpy old man. But he's family and I couldn't allow him to be neglected because my grandpa couldn't care for him anymore. And I couldn't let him go to a stranger when he has been with us most of his life. I pray as well that it doesn't affect him long term.

Again thank you for your help. Also sorry so long.